Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This brisket is DONE

Options
Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[p]After 22 hours of almost unbearable excitement, the internal temp hit 181 and the thing was fork-tender everywhere. JJ, I didn't want to lose precious heat while I figured out how to separate flat from point, never having done this before. So I wrapped the whole thing in 2 layers of foil,then in a dryer-warmed towel, and put it in a collapsible cooler (the kind lined with some space-age material).[p]I left the thermometer probe in so I could see what happens while it sits.[p]Thanks to all you great people for your advice and encouragement!

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Little Sis:[p]As we say here in the Deep South. It sounds like it is "Jam up and Jelly tight". Ya'll will be in high cotton tonight.
  • Cat
    Options
    Big Bro -[p]Oh, I like that one. If I use it tonight, I'll give you full credit![p]Suthrun Belle-in-Training[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, Hurrah for ya and hugs for success..Hope JJ doesn't mind my messin with his Sis...LOL..C~W[p]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cat,[p]Congrats on the brisket success! Your trials and tribulations throughout today provided some much needed entertainment to the bored working schleps of the world (like me!).[p]Feel free to send leftovers over the bridge (or through one of the tunnels) to lovely NJ![p]Cornfed

• Cat
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Thanks, but I'll declare success after I see if it can be cut - and eaten! [p]Who would have thought there could be so much adventure in a slab of dead cow?[p]Cathy

• Cat
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks, Fred...nice to know you're in my corner.[p]Cathy

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Cat,[p]I just finished reading of your adventure. A great experience and lots of fun shared with all. [p]Congratulations and thanks - I learned also.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cat,
    Adventure is what makes those chunk-o-chests so much fun.
    Will be looking for your taste results. I am confident they will be excellent.[p]Slabs of Dead Cows Rule.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Cat,
    Out of curiosity, do you think that the beer in the drip pan made any difference?
    RhumAndJerk

• Cat
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Well, it sure smelled good. ;-}[p]There were so many variables in this cook that I can't figure out what had an effect and what didn't. Liquid in the drip pan doesn't actually add much moisture to the air or to the meat; it just buffers the meat from direct heat.[p]Science aside, there's a lot to be said for magic...and the beery offering to the Brisket Gods certainly didn't hurt![p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, your hitting on all 4 pads :-)

• Cat
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]And I've still got 8 of those 9 lives to go! [p]When the Egg flamed out yesterday I loaded fresh lump atop the smoldering remnants, and had no trouble keeping the temp down. I know you light up this way but I was always afraid the fire would get too big. Now that I know otherwise, I'm going to try it the next time I do ribs - it will solve the hot-spot problem.[p]Cathy