Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Help?

Hi Eggers,

It's too early to tell, but it looks like I may have screwed up and there's a chance that a 10 lb butt is going to be done way too early.  I mean early enough that FTC won't do.

Can I get some experienced tips on reheating the butt if I have to?

How would I keep the butt until it's time to reheat?  Still in the cooler?

Thanks....................................

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Pull it and put in crockpot with some apple juice or water. Leave it on low. I do it this way all the time and always get compliments.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited August 2013
    when are you eating? iv'e done plenty of 8 hour cooler holds. They've all been great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

@Cen-Tex, an 8 hour cooler hold would probably work.

I've never done one that long.  I'd need to insulate the butt pretty heavily in the cooler, right?

• Ive got a huge crockpot with a keep warm setting. Ive set a whole butt wrapped in foil in it and it keeps fine.

Little Rock, AR

• jaydub58

Well, maybe I worried too soon.  Just went into stall at 173 degrees, actually dropped to 171.  Looking good.

Actually I'd feel much better if my BBQ Guru PartyQ hadn't stopped working!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    How is it doing John?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    edited August 2013

Maybe just crawling out of the stall now, Mickey.  Up to 175.  Doesn't look like timing will be  problem now, just 5 hours form eating time.

Although I have done nothing but low-n-slow with butts, will you please take a few minutes and detail how you do your turbo butt cook?

Maybe it's time I tried it.

OTOH, if you're asking about my PartyQ, it just stopped blowing.  The green light on the panel lights up, indicating that the fan is on, but it isn't really.  Oh well. 

• jaydub58

Well, patience paid off!  The second stall was a long one, but this hunk of pig is just about 1/2 an hour or so from coming off the egg.

Perfect timing, dinner is just about 2 hours away.

• Mickey
    TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    @Mickey do you have that permenately saved in your copy/paste clipboard???

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mickey
    @Mickey do you have that permenately saved in your copy/paste clipboard???

Saved on "Notes" iPad and iPhone

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Funny, I've had this exact same problem today. Have had it in the oven wrapped in foil for a while now at 170. Did this per instructions on the amazing ribs website.
    Southern California