Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! I broke my Big Green Egg.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi! We purchased a large big green egg two years ago and have been very happy with it. However, just today we left the egg unattended for a short period of time and returned to the egg fire at well over 700 degrees. Unfortunately when we shut everything down and it cooled we were no longer able to open it up, the seal had melted, securing the top and bottom portions of the egg together. What is the best way to fix the egg, now? Do you have any tips or tools that can help the situation? Thank you!

Comments

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Wendell W. Pinegar,[p]You've seared your gasket together. I've only done this once or twice a couple years ago but it's normally easy enough to fix. I believe most of the time it's only fused in a few small sections but enough to keep the lid from opening easily.[p]Take some sort of device like a paint scraper (I think I just used a kitchen butter knife each time) and work it in where you can along the crack between the top and the bottom making sure to go BETWEEN the top and bottom gaskets. You should find that with a couple tries you can find a place to work it through to the inside.[p]Once there gently work it around and you'll find the areas where you have to kind of 'saw' through the gasket.[p]I think one time I did need to replace my gasket after this as I tore it up good but the other time I recall it looking just fine.[p]Good luck to ya![p]Todd
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    I would try and run a utility knife around the edge. Take your time and go deeper with each pass. Becareful not to hurt the ceramic...

Good luck,

Ryan
  • I think that we pretty much melted it all the way around, unfortunately. So this will take some work. I'll try to find something that is thin and flat and work it around to break the seal.[p]I can easily fit my arm down on the inside, so I might try working it from the inside first and then going to the outside...[p]I'm very interested to hear what types of tools people have used for this task! Thank you!
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    Wendell W. Pinegar,[p]
    This has happened to lots of us in the past. A butter knife, a putty knife, or a paint scraper works best. One way to help loosen the melted gasket is to reheat it. Some on the list have tossed a handful of lump down the top of the chimney, and brought the temp up, which will warm and loosen the seal. Then, you should be able to pry the lid open from the outside with little difficulty.[p]The time it happened to me, I was able to pry it apart with a putty knife, without heating the egg up first. Don't sweat it - this is an easy one, as far as egg-related catastrophes go...[p]Keith

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Wendell W. Pinegar, I good drywall knife works great

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    I read this being done (so far i didn't have to do it) get a few pieces of lump burning on a concrete slab, then carefully pick up with tongs & drop it down the chimney & open the lower vent as if smoking. when the egg heats up to say 300F, you should be able to open the lid again. discard the burning lump, let the egg cool & then remove the damaged gasket with a putty knife, wiping clean with some paint thinners. when dry apply the new gasket [i read that wallmart has some gaskets in the home improvement dept]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smoke and Beers,
    If, as you say, the gasket is melted/fused all the way around, you will need to use a utility knife to cut through the gasket material. Once you get the lid and base separated, you can scrape and cut off the old gasket and replace it. Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]Replacing your gasket FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Wendell W. Pinegar, this just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The dome thermometer was pegged way above 750F. The gasket was disintegrated in back and completely fused in front. I was able to pry it open using two butter knives, one on each side. I did have to use pliers on one of the knives to get enough torque, but it popped right open. You can probably count on having to replace the gasket, but it's easy enough. Good luck.

• jwitheld
    Options
    Wendell W. Pinegar,
    get some heat in it thru the bottom vent, try mapp or propane torch till it gets loose

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Wendell W. Pinegar,[p]OK, if she is really stuck take a 5 way paint scraper and a hammer and lightly tap the scraper in betweent the upper and lower gasket. It will damage the gasket. Then build a fire, get the temp up hot for a while, put the fire out, let cool for about 45 min, put on your welding gloves and take a razor blade scraper. Scrape off the gasket. Place some foil between the top and bottom and allow to cool. Using this method will take off most of the glue.

• OK -- we fixed it. Sure enough as soon as you get enough leverage it pops right open. My father was in town and had it open and cleaned up, ready for a new gasket when I came home from work.[p]Thanks for all of the helpful hints! Now were smoken'...