Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's come up with the best sauce...ever

Here's the baseline and it's pretty good. How can we improve it? Go....
Ingredients:3 tablespoons olive oil2 medium cloves garlic, minced1 cup ketchup1/4 cup water1/4 cup distilled white vinegar1/4 cup packed light brown sugar1 tablespoons paprika1 tablespoon ancho chili powder1 squirt Sriracha sauce1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Stir in the ketchup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, sriracha and lemon zest.

Comments

• Well the formatting got mangled when I posted. Here are the ingredients:

-3 tablespoons olive oil

-2 cloves garlic

-1 cup ketchup

-1/4 cup water

-1/4 cup distilled vinegar

-1/4 cup light brown sugar

-1 tablespoon paprika

-1 tablespoon ancho chili powder

-1 squirt Sriracha

-Lemon Zest
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    No suggestions as I have just messed with a Carolina vinegar sauce that has needed help.  I will ride along and see how this goes.  Regardless, I will try the above recipe as the major commercial players mentioned here are generally very proud ($$-wise) of their products.  No issues with that if that's what the market will support.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I always like to throw in a little of what im drinking and a little of what I'm cooking so I always do beer or bourbon (whatever im drinking that day) and whatever rub I'm using that day. Seems to all come together in the end.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I use molasses in all the BBQ sauces I make. Adds a great smoky sweetness. Not too much, it can be pretty powerful. This does look like a pretty solid start.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • A little bourbon, molasses, and mustard powder would be good.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    lousubcap said:

No suggestions as I have just messed with a Carolina Viney gar sauce that has needed help.  I will ride along and see how this goes.  Regardless, I will try the above recipe as the major commercial players mentioned here are generally very proud ($$-wise) of their products.  No issues with that if that's what the market will support.

Try Wicker's...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    @henapple-will do!  Thanks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Agreed with molasses.

Little worcestershire is good too
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    also I have noticed through my BBQ sauce making experience that paprika ≠ paprika.  Try to find paprikas that are "small batch" or look that way and experiment.

I also like to take the molasses and replace with pomegranate molasses from time to time.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Add a couple chipotles for smokey heat
  • lousubcap
    Bump for those who are cruising the forum in some state of alcohol induced wisdom :)>-