Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Help

Options
dawsonhull
dawsonhull Posts: 105
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I know there are already 1,000 discussions with this exact same title - I just want to make sure I have everything straight for this first go-around! I'm planning on using the Travis Method on a 12.74 lb. Choice Brisket from Sam's.

A few questions for @travisstrick or anyone other brisket gurus out there: For this method, rub goes only on top and not on the side that touches the sauce, right? Also, what time should I put it on in order to be finished for dinner tomorrow? I'm planning on cooking at 300°.

Lastly, I've never had burnt ends but I've heard they're incredible. How exactly do you make them?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    Typically it's 1.5 hours per pound so it'll be roughly 19 hours, however at 300* it'll go a bit quicker more than likely.  Target 195*-200*.  I'd toss it on around midnight or 1:00am if you want to eat around 6:00.  If you get done early, you can FTC it for an hour or two.

I'm by no means an expert but that's my thought process.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • dawsonhull
    Options
    Thanks! That's exactly what I've heard for going low & slow. I've been hearing more like 10-13 hrs with this method, though. Higher temperature + braise. Was thinking more like early morning - possibly around 6 or 7 AM.

Anyone have any input on those burnt ends?
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    Thanks! That's exactly what I've heard for going low & slow. I've been hearing more like 10-13 hrs with this method, though. Higher temperature + braise. Was thinking more like early morning - possibly around 6 or 7 AM.

Anyone have any input on those burnt ends?
    It's better to allow some time though - in case you hit the stall and end up getting done at 7-8pm.  If you're done early, you can always FTC and won't hurt it.  Good luck!
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    For burnt ends, cut off the point along the fat seam that separates the point and flat. Cut it up into ~ 1 inch cubes and put in a pan with more rub and your favorite sauce. Put back on the grill for around 30-45 minutes. There are many ways to do them, some even smoke them whole and then cut it up.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    just stay patient and be prepared for the stall. it will most likely happen but dont panick. give yourself some breathing room with the time and if done early just ftc and enjoy. just make sure you stuff your egg with charcoal so that you have the time if you need it. Best of luck and send us some updates with pics.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • dawsonhull
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys! It turned out pretty good! Not really a smoke ring, but it was very moist and tender. The smoke flavor was definitely there. I've never really had good brisket before so I don't have much to compare it to. The biggest surprise was that it took only six hours!! I was prepared for around 10! But it hit 205 and the probe with no resistance. I wrapped it and put it in a cooler for 4 hours before we ate it. 

My wife loved it!

Here are some pics: