Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza

I've done smaller deep dish pizzas before in the older 7" diameter ceramic deep dish pizza stone. I recently picked up the new 14" ceramic deep dish pizza stone and this is my first attempt. I used the recipe for Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza found on the BGE website. For my toppings I used pepperoni and imported ham. 

BGE partnered with the King Arthur Flour Company for this recipe. The KAF pizza dough recipe was modeled after Pizzeria Uno. The dough used: All-purpose flour, luke warm water, vegetabe oil, olive oil, melted butter, yellow corn meal, instant yeast & table salt.

The ingredients are all combined in the bowl of a stand mixer and are mixed at medium-low speed for 7 minutes.

The dough is done mixing.

The dough is placed in a dough doubling pail where it is allowed  to rise for 1 hour.

The risen dough is turned out and rolled into a "disc" shape. That was the idea anyway, I am not great at rolling out circular shapes of dough.

The dough is placed in the BGE 14" deep dish pizza stone, which has been sprayed with non-stick baking spray & coated with olive oil. The dough is shaped twice with 15 minute rests in between.

The pan & dough go on the Egg for 10 minutes. The Egg has been pre-heated to 425 and is set up for indirect grilling using the plate setter installed legs up. The dough is partially cooked for 10 minutes & then goes back to the Kitchen to get topped.

The ingredients for the toppings are: Petite diced tomatoes, shredded parmesan cheese, sliced mozzarella, olive oil, Italian seasoning, sugar, minced garlic, pepperoni & imported ham.

The crust has partially cooked for 10 minutes. It will now go back to the Kitchen to receive the toppings.

The petite diced tomatoes were drained and then the garlic, Italian seasoning sugar & pepper are added and mixed to make the sauce.

The pizza gets assembled. First the mozzarella cheese gets fanned out on top of the dough.

The imported ham slices go on top of the cheese,

The pepperoni is next.

The sauce goes over the meats and cheese.

The pizza is topped with shredded parmesan cheese and then is drizzled with olive oil.

The pizza is out on the 425 degree Egg and will cook indirectly for about 25 minutes.

The pizza was done after 21 minutes. It will go back inside and rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

The pizza has cooled for 15 minutes (but is still VERY hot). Time to eat!!

The crust was a wonderful golden brown.

This was one great pizza!! We all had one slice more than we should have. Everyone commented on the crispy, flaky, buttery flavored crust and the tangy, somewhat spicy and just great tasting sauce from the petite diced tomatoes. Making this pizza on the Egg was such a joy with the stability of the Egg once you get it to your desired temperature. 

Jim 
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Great write up and outstanding looking pizza. Nicely done Jim
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I knew this was going to be amazing as soon as I saw the title and your screen name next to it.

Another fascinating cook.  Thanks for sharing.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hwkfan
    Hwkfan Posts: 8
    Great looking pie!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Nicely done, Jim! I would kill for a piece of that right about now! =P~
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Thanks guys!! 

@YEMTrey thanks man. Too kind. Your check is in the mail. ;)

@Dyal_SC I'd kill for one too!. I sent the leftovers home with my parents. Now hours later my house still smells like this pizza and it is killing me. :(

Jim
  • Lovely!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • That looks awesome!
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Beautiful
    Southern Indiana
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    That's a wonderful looking pizza!!
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Looks really good

Try 6 in 1 tomatoes if you can find them. Really good for pizza.They can turn a good sauce into a better one.
  • jfm0830
    Thanks for the additional comments and thanks for looking.

@mikeb9550 Pardon my ignorance, but I've not heard that particular name before. Is that a brand or a type of tomato? Oh and thanks for the tip!

Jim
  • OUTSTANDING!!!
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Looks like another $50 accessory to buy and I hereby volunteer to do it. Great looking deep dish pizza!

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @jmf0830 that looks amazing and thanks for the detailed write up. Where did you get the King Arthur plastic matt with the measurements?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Wow - what a cook - that new kitchen is an inspirational prep area, eh?
    6 in 1 from Escalon I believe. I have used the Allegro pizza sauce, it is excellent, but never the 6 in 1 tomatoes. @mikeb9550 might be onto something with them if they are anything like the Allegro sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wow - what a cook - that new kitchen is an inspirational prep area, eh?
    6 in 1 from Escalon I believe. I have used the Allegro pizza sauce, it is excellent, but never the 6 in 1 tomatoes. @mikeb9550 might be onto something with them if they are anything like the Allegro sauce. 
    I can't compare to Allegro but I can get a #10 can of 6 in 1 for $5 and make a batch of tomato soup, spaghetti sauce and use the leftover for pizza sauce, enough for 2 pies...excellent stuff in my opinion :)
  • jfm0830
    edited July 2013
    Thanks again for looking and commenting guys.

@Skiddymarker I am having a ball in the new kitchen. Having 3 work areas/zones gives me so much more flexibility and having everything for the kitchen actually in the kitchen makes me waste less time getting set up.

@CPARKTX I live near Vermont so It is less than 2 hours for me to drive to KAF to visit the store or take classes. I just looked and the mat is still available in their online store. The color is different, but same mat. It is $30, but I have had mine for 7 or 8 years now and use it all the time-so a worthwhile investment. So visit KAF store on their web site and search for silicone baking mat.

Jim
  • Springram
    @jfm0830 - did you remove the entire pizza from the ceramic dish before cutting into slices or just let the pizza stay in the dish? Just wondering if the bottom crust would stay crispier if the pizza was removed from the pan after the 15 minutes cool down period.

Love your website.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • jfm0830
    edited July 2013
    @Springram I kept the pizza in the pan, and that is my recollection of how they did it at Pizzeria Uno as well. I think they bring it to the table still in the pan for the large. The server cuts it for you in the pan and when they leave I seem to recall the pizza still being in the pan.

Thanks for visiting my website.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Man, that is one beautiful looking pizza, Jim. Makes me want to go out and get that cermaic pizza pan. Wonder if it could be done in a cast iron pan?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    @Griffin Thanks and I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't try it. I seem to recall some folks around here making that pizza in cast-iron pansy around the time the BGE version came out. I might be thinking of SR's boards too, because I may have posted it there. I think the folks at BTE would tell you that the ceramic helps pull some of the moisture out of the surface of the pizza crust thereby making it crispier. But you should search on the site here and see if you can't turn up some of the deep dish pizzas done and cast-iron. I seem to recall The folks that made them liked them
  • Great set of pictures

I am going to try this at the weekend

Can I ask, you sprayed the pizza disk with non stick oil AND olive oil ?

when it comes to cleaning the dish afterwards do you use soap and water or just water or just leave it to season itself ?
  • Springram
    Follow the recipe on the BGE official site. It was done in conjunction with King Arthur Flour company. The recipe was designed for the BGE 14" deep dish ceramic pan. I spray the bottom and sides with Pam and then coat with 4 tbs. of olive oil. No not skip this step.

As to cleaning, I would not use soap and water. Just hot water and some kosher salt. Comes out clean as a whistle....

Did one last night.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • jfm0830
    @JonHalestrap It may have been belt and suspenders but I did spray it with some baking spray I have, plus I rolled on the olive oil as described in the recipe. As for cleaning, there wasn't that much stuck onto the pan when I was done. I just soaked in hot water for a while and cleaned it out with some towels soaked with more hot water. I never use soap on the ceramic dishes I have. Soap would soak into the pores and you'd run the risk of having that in your food. As it was, it took a couple days for the ceramic pan to completely dry out. Be careful where you lay it down after you've cleaned it because there's still water left in the pores afterwards. Good luck with your pizza! Please post some pictures of the end results.
  • Springram
    jfm0830 said:
    @JonHalestrap It may have been belt and suspenders but I did spray it with some baking spray I have, plus I rolled on the olive oil as described in the recipe. As for cleaning, there wasn't that much stuck onto the pan when I was done. I just soaked in hot water for a while and cleaned it out with some towels soaked with more hot water. I never use soap on the ceramic dishes I have. Soap would soak into the pores and you'd run the risk of having that in your food. As it was, it took a couple days for the ceramic pan to completely dry out. Be careful where you lay it down after you've cleaned it because there's still water left in the pores afterwards. Good luck with your pizza! Please post some pictures of the end results.
    +1    @jfm0830 is the one who inspired me to do these pizzas in the first place.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Great looking pie!!! I second the 6 in 1 tomatoes from Escalon.  Love the stuff and they are great to deal with.  The first time I ordered I tried using their internet website  - no luck.  I called and placed the order and then asked if she wanted my credit card for payment.  She said  "we don't don't take credit cards, we'll just ship them to you with an invoice and just send us a check when you get them". Thought that was pretty cool of them to do that. 
    XL BGE
  • I am now officially really excited to get this going at the weekend

thanks for your help 
  • Can I just check

a) What is PAM ?
    b) You were using the BGE deep pan which seems to be made of the same ceramic as the pizza stone and the egg itself
    c) what do you mean when you say "shaped twice"
  • jfm0830
    edited August 2013
    Can I just check

a) What is PAM ?
    PAM is a non-stick cooking spray sold in the US. I often use "PAM for Grilling" which has a higher smoke point than regular PAM. Myself I actually used a non-stick spray for Baking called "Professional Bake-kleene ZT". But any good non-stick cooking spray rated for the cooking temperature you will use should do the trick.

b) You were using the BGE deep pan which seems to be made of the same ceramic as the pizza stone and the egg itself
    Correct

c) what do you mean when you say "shaped twice"
    When the dough is draped over the pan and up the sides it often pulls back (shrinks). Letting it rest allows you to stretch it again and have it hold it's shape better each time. After 15 minutes you stretch it back up & over the sides of the pan. In another 15 minutes you do it again.