Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen/cart/table Design

I am going to build something very soon.  The gasser is going downstairs and out into the yard somewhere unless I just sell it.

In place I want to build sort of an Island that is 4-5 ft long x 2 ft wide. This will give me allot of prep space and allot of storage for all the Egg/serving  stuff.  I want to to last more than a few years.   It will have multiple cabinet doors/drawers.  I can get the stainless doors/drawers  online. 

My questions are for people that make things.  This is going on a second story deck and I want this thing movable (in case I need to paint/clean the deck/railing) and I am worried about weight.  I would put small casters on it.  I am looking into construction materials to build this myself (where I can).

For the outside I am thinking of the fake stone veneer - or real stone veneer if I can find it.  The fake stuff is very light.  I am not a detailed carpenter so my fine wood working skills would not work for molding and trim.

The top would be a piece of stone (I do not think granite as I want it durable and since it will be uncovered for the most part).  The top must be able to accommodate placing the hot grates/ceramic stones on it and must be easy to clean (grease).  So either a cut stone which will get very expensive like quartz or possible poor a concrete top and throw some colored dye/rocks/etc into it.  I am worried about the weight of the concrete.  I could also use a few layers of durock/waterproofing material and tile the top.  My concerns are can the tile hold a 200-600 ceramic stone without cracking?  Being I live in the northeast will the tile work from the hot humid summers to the cold winters and not crack and especially the grout lines?

My concerns are the framing.  Would wood 2x4's be too heavy and should I look at the metal studs?  But are they strong enough for a moving cart?  I would cover the frame/bottom in durock (cement board) and cutout the door/drawers holes.  The bottom would have a 3/4 plywood for support as well.   I would also have shelves inside possible made of durock or maybe even cheap painted plywood for shelves.

Any other ideas?  I want to start this maybe this weekend but I need to make sure my plan is good.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Molding and trim does cover up a multitude of sins (mistakes)

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I cant cut the molding to cover my mistakes.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Here is my idea.

Garnerville, NY
  • maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    I  plan on using tile and have the same question on the tile. Also if using silicon for the adhesive, instead of mortar is ok to use. Your plans look great, where are you getting doors from?
  • robnybbq
    bbq guys is one of the places I am looking at.

Garnerville, NY
  • i posted a message just yesterday pretty much about this same type of table. I saw an old post a long time ago that had pictures of 2x4 framing covered in durock. The Durock appeared to be pre-stuccoed so it really only needed to be screwed onto the framing.

Check out page 21 on the Naked Whiz website and look at Paul L's table. that is a Durock finish on 2x4 frames. He used a granite top but I like what you said about Durock on the top and them tiling over. I'm thinking it would be cool to get some of that ceramic tile that looks like hardwood.

Looking forward to the responses you get on this. The only difference is mine won't be moving much so i'm not too concerned with the weight.

Good luck.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Check out the new BGE table. It is made by Challenger. I think it's all aluminum and weather tight doors and drawers. Just an option you might not of considered. Light weight, easy to keep clean, portable, and long life. It is an investment.
  • robnybbq
    I looked at the new tables - $3,500 though and not including delivery which I bet is at least $500 more.

Since there is no Grill/Egg going onto this Island I was thinking 2x4's would be OK since I am not worried about fire. The outside on the one side will be ~1-2 feet from the base of the Egg - would that be a concern for heat?

Also a friend recommend I try wood siding on the sides instead of stone to keep the weight down.  I guess I could do that then hire a carpenter to do the trim/coverup work maybe.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    robnybbq said:
    I looked at the new tables - $3,500 though and not including delivery which I bet is at least $500 more.

Since there is no Grill/Egg going onto this Island I was thinking 2x4's would be OK since I am not worried about fire. The outside on the one side will be ~1-2 feet from the base of the Egg - would that be a concern for heat?

Also a friend recommend I try wood siding on the sides instead of stone to keep the weight down.  I guess I could do that then hire a carpenter to do the trim/coverup work maybe.

You only need about an inch of space. Just like if you had it in a table. 1-2 feet is more than enough.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I love my slate tile top for looks and I don't use mine for prep. If you are I recommend granite or a smooth surface... Easier cleaning and cutting..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    There are cultured(man made) stone materials which also weigh significantly less. There is also metal studs or fire treated lumber if that is a concern. The galv. Metal studs are commonly used in island construction. Then cover with durarock and then your tiles or stone or stucco etc...
  • robnybbq
    My concern is the four seasons.  Will that crack the stucco, tile, or whatever I use.

It looks like I will not do wheels and will just put the corners on a small piece of wood to elevate it for air flow underneath.

Heading to HD later to look around.

If I dont use stone veneer and use cedar planks how can I get them straight to glue together so water does not get behind them?  I am guessin some sort of waterproof wrap behind the cedar panels.  Still dont know how I would cover the corners as I do not see Cedar corner molding. 

And how to make doors if I dont buy the stainless doors.  I am now on the cheap method and will build it to the best of by ability I guess.  Only tools I have are hammer, screw drivers, electric drill and circular saw.  Without expertise in using the saw I am really afraid on how this will come out.  Might end up looking like crap.

The more I think of it this will be a bad idea.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Tyvek behind them cedar. Make your corners out of 1x trim and butt there shingles to it. You can find cabinet doors for sale.
  • robnybbq
    The only exterior doors I see are the ones you order (Stainless) and they are not cheap.  I do not see wood doors on the HD/Lowes site.  They sell interior kitchen cabinet doors that probably wont last outdoors. 

If the side paneling is cedar planks the wood will be a different kind and will not match I am guessing.  Plus I would meed to find 1 inch outside edge molding and seal it so it does not warp/fall apart after a year or so. Another reason I am afraid to use wood.  is wood the real way to go to make it last more than a year or two?  Or will I be sanding/staining/sealing it every year?

They sell T1-11 material that is a plywood sheet but I still have the edge issue and would have to paint it - meaning more yearly maintenance.

You are saying cedar shingles? I doubt I could get a clean edge with a hand held circular saw.  Just not that handy - Maybe after a few drinks I would be more steady but drinks and power tools dont mix well.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Even a premade cart would be great - not this as it will last a week (particle board).

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    You can buy cedar 1x that will match. Cedar shake isn't hard to cut. Look on CL for cabinetdoors. If yyou lived closer I'd help.
  • robnybbq
    All I see is interior cabinet doors.  Wont they warp when constantly getting wet outdoors?  This will be out in the open with no covering.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Probably if they're press board. If wood they could probably be treated to resist the weather for a while. Don't use t-111.
  • Here is one i built for a client.
  • Can you come to my house and do the same?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • I ran across this thread after researching King Starboard, a plastic material used in building boats.  Stands up real well to UV and salt air etc.  Looks pretty interesting but my cabinetry skills are a two on a scale of ten.  Let alone throwing in a new material....

This material is what the challenger cabinets are made out of.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • robnybbq
    Those werever cabinets are nice - They cost more than the challenger (BGE) cabinet.

I went to HD and looked around. 

- The molding section and all the woods were pine or oak or composite white.
    - The T1-11 siding - looks cheap and will require painting every so often.
    - No fiber cement boards in the store - only vinyl siding (no thanks)
    - They actually had Hardieboard and douglas fur 2x4's (I do not know if they will warp or not)
    - No outdoor tile - or at least what they worker said.  Plus nothing appealed to me.
    - No stone veneer in the store
    - The HD near me is useless - They do have tons of junk you dont need though.

Anyways I do not know if I can do this.  I have never built a cabinet or anything like this for that matter.  I figure ~ $800 in materials and NOT including the counter top.  That's allot of money to gamble with if it does not work or come out right.  If the cabinet comes out right - Add another $300-$1000 for the counter depending on what I find.  Plus more tools to do this.

So it looks like back to square one - No cabinet still to where store all the Egg stuff.  I may sell off some of it as I have no where to store it.  I do not want it all over hte kitchen and deck anymore.  This is my only problem with the Egg - You need a ton of accessories to use it for different types of cooks.  Straight grilling you dont need anything - low and slows - indirect stones, raised grates, pizza stones,  wok, cast iron grates, thermometers, utensils,  ash tool, ash tray, grill gripper - the stuff looks like crap sitting out in the open.  Even a amaller cabinet will not hold all this stuff so I dont know what to do.  Pretty bummed about it.

Garnerville, NY
  • I hear what your saying. I have come close to buying the BGE cedar table, at least it's a start. Then possibly using plastic bins to store things in, and place them n the shelf. I don't really need the egg in the table, just a work area with storage. I have also looked at those Rubbermaid style cabinets, but just can't bring myself to do it.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • robnybbq said:

Those werever cabinets are nice - They cost more than the challenger (BGE) cabinet.

I went to HD and looked around. 

- The molding section and all the woods were pine or oak or composite white.
    - The T1-11 siding - looks cheap and will require painting every so often.
    - No fiber cement boards in the store - only vinyl siding (no thanks)
    - They actually had Hardieboard and douglas fur 2x4's (I do not know if they will warp or not)
    - No outdoor tile - or at least what they worker said.  Plus nothing appealed to me.
    - No stone veneer in the store
    - The HD near me is useless - They do have tons of junk you dont need though.

Anyways I do not know if I can do this.  I have never built a cabinet or anything like this for that matter.  I figure ~ $800 in materials and NOT including the counter top.  That's allot of money to gamble with if it does not work or come out right.  If the cabinet comes out right - Add another $300-$1000 for the counter depending on what I find.  Plus more tools to do this.

So it looks like back to square one - No cabinet still to where store all the Egg stuff.  I may sell off some of it as I have no where to store it.  I do not want it all over hte kitchen and deck anymore.  This is my only problem with the Egg - You need a ton of accessories to use it for different types of cooks.  Straight grilling you dont need anything - low and slows - indirect stones, raised grates, pizza stones,  wok, cast iron grates, thermometers, utensils,  ash tool, ash tray, grill gripper - the stuff looks like crap sitting out in the open.  Even a amaller cabinet will not hold all this stuff so I dont know what to do.  Pretty bummed about it.

Bud don't be bummed. Maybe you are aiming to high and making things too complicated.
    I have zero handy skills, but know handy people. A friend built my nest - nothing fancy, but it works for me - I looked at the designs online, used simple Excel spreadsheet to build out a design - 6' instead of the 4' design, brought PT lumber for the frame and cedar for the outside, my friend built it and I stained using Australian Timber Oil.
    Used a simple ceramic tile (I have a few in case it broke, but it takes all the hot stuff so far - winter will be the real test), the bottom is open, but would be simple to make doors.
    All this cost less that $200 in materials.
    Just saying - don't get bummed, find a solution for you Eggcesories - because they are Eggssential to your addiction! :)

• henapple
    Can you post a pic on line of your place?
  • robnybbq
    Will get better pics later but here is a pic of the Egg and drawings of the current setup.

A table would be great for counter/serving/prep space but I do not want all the egg stuff out in the open.  Just does not look nice.
    hou.gif 27.5K
    egg.jpg 155.3K

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Here are some deck pics.

Where the cart/cabinet would go is where the Gas grill is now.  If I just use a table the eyesore will be visable form the front and the back (downstairs) plus everything will get wet and make more of a mess.  The Cast Iron grate for example would be rust and/or leave grease stains all over the place.

Garnerville, NY
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    I think you are over shooting on price by a large margin.  Anyway, you could really drop your price by using pine and staining/sealing it.  I'm planning mine now and going to attempt a poured concrete top, much less $ than granite, and completely custom.

Good luck
  • robnybbq
    edited August 2013
    From what I have read pine will warp.

for a 5 x 2 x 3 cabinet

Hardie backer is ~$12 a 5x3 sheet - I need at least 5.  $60
    Add a bunch of metal studs at $5 a piece.- 6-10 - $50
    Stone veneer - $50 per 8 Sq Ft - plus corner kits ~35 ft - $300-400
    Metal doors $800 (BBQ Guys)

Looking at $1200 without tools, a top, wheels, trim, fasteners, shelves, etc

Add a cheap tile top and that will be at least $100 for junk tile.

Alternative siding
    Cheap T1-11 siding will cost $120 - plus trim work and painting every year.  I can not do molding trim work - I have tried that and the corners never line up.  Maybe if I bought a $400 saw it would be better but that's more money.

Garnerville, NY
  • AlohaCJS
    AlohaCJS Posts: 46
    I was having the same debate with myself and couldn't justify the cost of a table when I really just needed storage. Finally decided to go with the Suncast Backyard Oasis Deck Box from Home Depot. Also bought the shelf. After picture was taken, I used S hooks to hang the ash cleaner, grill cleaner, daisy wheel, etc from the front of the shelf. As you can see, there is plenty of room for the stuff, the charcoal, and some deck cushions, and it looks nice to boot! See Pics.

image image image
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini