Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shelves question

Options
I just picked up my brand new Large Egg today, so pumped to start cooking.  One question...I bought it assembled with the wood shelves, and when I went to pick it up it was assembled with the composite shelves on it instead.  I took it home and the dealer offered to send someone out next week to put the wooden ones on.  

Any opinions on the wooden shelves vs. the composite?  Pros/cons of each?  Now that I already have the composites I'm on the fence as to if I should have them swapped for wood or leave them on

ALso, my egg has the iron daisy wheel on top and also came with a ceramic "top" with a knob on it.  Am I correct in assuming that this is for cooks when you don't want to use the daisy wheel (and you'd remove it and plug the top hole with the green ceramic top)?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Metal daisy wheel is used to control temps by limiting air flow.  I haven't used it in months, and only use the bottom vent.  The ceramic top with the knob is for when you are done cooking and want to extinguish the fire - close the bottom vent, put on the ceramic top, and the fire will go out (no air), leaving you charcoal to use next time.

No experience with the composite shelves, but my wooden ones got dirty quickly and I'm not sur how to clean them other than sanding.  Grease is pretty soaked into the wood.
    Options

If it is a plastic composite that won't absorb rain water, it might be better than wood IMHO. If it is a composite made from wood chips, etc. it could get ruined.

PS Nice ride

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I changed out my wood ones for composite. Composites cost more for a good reason. Once you get oil or grease on the wood there's no bringing it back. The composites aren't perfect but IMHO they're better.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • TheSmokinBloke
    Options
    I have Wood on my Larges and Composite on my small. Stained and sealed the shelves, and never had a problem, plus they look better IMO. I Had to paint/seal the composite because they are very hard to clean, and make the shelves look like crap, however, they are not the dark "wood" looking composites, they were the gray ones. BGE has just started to phase out of all the wood materials, and are going to all composite now, including front handles.

Let's Did It Low and Slow....

Facebook

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The composite shelves are easily cleaned with inexpensive oven cleaner. I tried other cleaners with little success, but the oven cleaner has them like new in seconds. If you want beauty, go with the wood, practical, composite.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have the composite shelves with my small and XL.  They clean up easily with Simple Green.  I've had wood shelves with a gasser.  IMO, the composite shelves are better.  Keep 'em!
    Flint, Michigan
  • HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks for the responses...it looks like the general consensus is to keep the composites. They are the darker brown color.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I have the composite shelves with my small and XL.  They clean up easily with Simple Green.  I've had wood shelves with a gasser.  IMO, the composite shelves are better.  Keep 'em!
    +1

Sppringram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

The "darker brown" shelves are the new versions of the old wood shelves.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    I like my composite. and simple green makes them look new with a wipe.
    Brampton, Ontario