Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Functional, Durable, Clean! Finally done with my eggs new home :)

Hey gang,

I've been a member / lurker for a while but not a frequent poster.  I've been cooking on BGE's for about 10 years now.  I have a large, a small and a mini.  
I want to share with you my completed outdoor kitchen and some of the various steps of construction.  
The design was to be durable, functional and clean looking.  I went through many, many variations of the layout and decided on my 2stone Pizza Grill, a small BGE and a Large BGE.  There is a 15" wide drawer that pulls out for a garbage can and storage and then two more for coal storage, tools, utensils, etc and a 'fridge.
I just finished it last week and have cooked on it a number of times and it's a joy to work on.  I couldn't be happier.  One thing I noticed on my first cook which was a paella was how nice it is to have the eggs perfectly leveled for certain things.  When the paella pan was filled up with liquid, it stayed perfectly dispersed and more importantly evaporated evenly, ensuring a nice, thick, even soccorat.
This was the first drawing I made this winter, not what I made but a starting point:

a later, computer rendering of a different layout

we sunk a number of tubes past the frost line to make a foundation:

the foundation was plumbed with water, electric and gas, all in boring sleeves.  You can see some of the 8x8 limestone in the corner of this pic.  The sides and back are limestone.

ok, jump forward quite a bit.  Here the limestone block work is more or less done.  Also all of the wood frame work for the cabinertry was done too, in marine plywood and sealed.  The frame for the concrete countertop is made and they're working away on the counter:

two rolled aluminum angle rings as molds for the eggs

this is a 2x2 stainless angle flange for the pizza grill which sticks above the surface 3/8" 

working it

the finished, dried surface two weeks later

more progress, 24" 2 drawer perlick fridge installed

the finished product!  Pizza oven installed, capstone installed, cedar cabinetry done.  

We're modifiying the grill top so it goes over the flange, all the way down so water won't get in there

not a very good pic, I should get more but this kinda shows how the eggs are mounted.  We made two trays out of 3/16" 304 stainless 3" deep. In each tray is a 1" drain in the corner.  The cabinets are lined with concrete board, and then stainless angle was screwed to the sides to hold the tray.  The small egg tray is a bit high than the larges so the drain from the small one goes in to the large ones and then down a tube, in to the ground. 

In the back of unit, we sunk two dozen, 1" stainless rounds that are 8" long and drilled and tapped at one end.  These are there to mount whatever off in the future, lights, heaters, awning, etc.  I think I'm going to work on the lighting next, right now I just have that machinsts light and want something a little more appropriate.  
Anyhew, I'm pysched it's done and love using it!  

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You win the internets tonight. There are not enough superlatives to describe how well done that is. Absolutely beautiful and supremely functional.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I must say, that is spectacular! Now sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    That is awesome!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • We'll that makes my fancy new cart I built look like fire wood! Haha props to you and your construction ability. I'm 1000% jealous! Great job!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Holy Cow!  I say you win!  I hope your outdoor season is longer than mine is here in Rochester NY!
    That is amazing!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Fan frikken tastic. ^:)^ =D>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Looks fantastic. What/how were the water and gas lines used for?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    We plumbed it will all of that stuff "just in case."  The water isn't being used at the moment, but the elctric and the gas are.  I converted my propane 2stone pizza grill to natural gas.  I almost forgot, this is one of the coolest parts, watch the video! :)

Brillat-Savarin
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Wow, that is one awesome looking outdoor kitchen. The details are incredible and the video of the pizza oven rising up was very cool. Nice job.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Holy poop, that's awesome! The 2stone coming up is some MTV Cribs type stuff. Table is beautiful! Love the cabinet/concrete color combo! Very classy.

My only concern is airflow for the eggs. Maybe you could have cabinets that open and slide in. That way you don't have to egg with them open and obstructing.

None the less, fabulous job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Cazzy, that was one of my concerns as well.  Considering the volume of the inside of that structure and the 1/2" opening arond both eggs, I hoped it would be sufficient airflow to let them breath.  This turns out to be the case, I've gotten the eggs super hot and I've also let them chugged along nice and mellow and haven't noticed a difference in the cooking when comparing them to how they worked in their nests.  Now that I've proved that they breath just fine, I'm actually thinking they might be more stable in there because heavy winds won't affect the draft as much.  That's just speculation on my part but it's what I'm thinking.  I probably won't notice a difference.  
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Cookinbob said:
    Holy Cow!  I say you win!  I hope your outdoor season is longer than mine is here in Rochester NY!
    That is amazing!
    Thanks Bob,

I bet my season isn't a whole lot longer than yours as I'm in NW Indiana.  That said, I cook outdoors year round.  I'm also in the process of getting my eggs in a row (har!) to buy some Solaria Alpha series infrared heaters.  I'm going to put three of them above the dining table and then one or two on the backside of the kitchen to help warm things up a little :)
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Let me start off by saying I hate you. :)) jk

That's one sweet setup. My only concern is what appears to be cedar shingles behind it. Highly flammable. Maybe a few coats of clear fire retardant? The chances are slim, but....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hey Hen,

I actually have some clear fire proofing product, which I bought from Sherwin Williams I believe. You're correct, that is cedar shake.  I opted not to apply that coating yet because it requires maintenance and I'm a good ways off that wall actually.  The other thing is that is the same location I've been grilling in with the BGE and before, with my Weber for over ten years.  I appreciate your concern though and might still slop some of that stuff on there.  
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    No problem... Looks damn good. I'm jealous.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    When i only saw the drawing first I thought this was a joke .. That's sharp!! Enjoy it.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    That is beautiful.  I would love to have that.  That counter tops looks really nice as well.

One day.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    What a set-up.  Congrats!  Waaaay beyond my skill-set.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    WOW! That is awesome.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Your outside kitchen I waaaay nicer than my inside kitchen. Beautiful egg haven you have there.
  • Very nice and inspirational.  Now I really need to get off my duff and do something like this.  Great job!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Is it rude to say I Hate You? Simply awesome, congrats
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Sah-Weeet!!   =D>

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• haha, thanks for the accolades guys, a lot of time, energy and thought was put in to this project and it really paid off.  

Some of you guys are cracking me up, please don't hate me, I'm one of the good guys :)
     Brillat-Savarin
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I was disappointed when the pictures stopped. Off to watch the video... Really nice!
    Dunedin, FL
  • We continue to tweak this unit... more pics to come! 
    A week back, I was quite surprised to open the garbage bin and find five inches of standing water in the bottom.  The good part of this showed that the joinery and sealer was all very good. :)  The bad part was that there was water getting in! Arggggg...  I got a hose and started showering the top of the counter to try to figure out what was going on.  It looked like all the water was going right towards the garbage bin so we put a straight edge on top and sure enough,

So, we came up with a pretty good fix that was a little bit of a pain to do.  We removed all of the handles, got a die grinder and ground a groove on the underside of the concrete countertop overhand.  We went about 3/8" wide and 1/4" deep.  This created a drip edge and prevents the water from creeping back in to the cabinet.  Last night we got a really heavy rain, our first one since we did that and eureka, it's bone dry.
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Glad to hear the "fix" worked.
    Great looking job and a nice video too!
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Wow. I'm speachless. Nicest egg holder I've ever seen
  • Jaw droppingly beautiful. Nicely done ;)

StlScott