Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at reverse sear

Options
Firemanyz
Firemanyz Posts: 907
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I cooked two steaks tonight using the reverse sear method. They were scrumptious. The wife and kids thought they were good also. Also for veggies I cooked some yellow squash is Italian dressing. To do it I used the 18 inch grate I have and I placed it right on top of the charcoal. I cooked about two min on each side then put the reg grate in and finished them to 140. The squash cooked for about two min on each side. It still had some texture and crunch.

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Am I reading your post wrong? This sounds just opposite of reverse sear.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good looking meal, pretty sure it is a "traditional" sear. Your cold meat was put right on the lump, Trex style, then finished to internal of 140º. 
    A reverse sear would be to put cold meat onto an indirect low temp egg, 250-300º, then at an internal of about 125º, pull the steaks, foil, and change to a direct setup, your 18" grid right on the coals. Once the egg is hot, finish the steaks to char the outside. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    @skiddymarker

I don't care how many times I read your signature, it makes me smile each time. I guess I one of the "10" lol. Good odds though eh?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Yes I stand corrected, I did a regular sear on the steaks. I told you it was my first time. Either way they were tasty. I can't wait to cook them again.