Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first pizza today....can you help me??

Options
ok guys my wife and i are doing our first pizza today.  i have been trying to read some older threads to get some ideas and i wanted to post a synopsis of what I think i have read and see if you guys agree.

1) we are using a thin store bought crust.

2) temperature suggestions range wildly but i think the average suggestion is around 600?

3) i would assume that a thin crust at about 600 degrees would be done in 6-8 minutes correct?

4) i see that many folks worry about melting the gasket at 600 or higher so i am going to do my best to raise my pizza stone as high as i can inside the dome which should help with gasket protection...correct??

5) i appear to see mixed thoughts on when to put the pizza stone inside the egg (when you first light it or right before you cook), i think i am going to put mine in right after i light the egg.

6) we are doing a BBQ chicken style pizza similar in toppings to the funk q bbq chicken pizza from mellow mushroom..i will have cooked my chicken tenders ahead of time and my bacon.....pizza will have bbq sauce, onions, cheese added along with the pre-cooked chicken and bacon.

anybody got any thoughts to what i have said or any other ideas or suggestions????
gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    When using store bought, follow the instructions on the packaging (temperature + duration).

Higher temps on the egg are for dough made using '00' flour or recipes that do not contain sugar/oil.

Put the stone in the egg as long as you can. I usually wait until my egg reaches 400F and then let it get to target temperature + wait another 30 minutes. Putting the stone right away slows the heating process.

Good luck and try making your own dough next time!

Here is my two cents worth -

2. Should be okay. I usually go for around 550*
    3. Probably about right.
    4. I doubt it will make a difference with regards to the gasket, but, you do want to cook the pizza as high in the dome as you can get it.
    5. I'd let the egg get up to 200-300 but you definitely want it heated up before putting the pizza on.

Most important... remember to take and post pictures or it didn't happen!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    thanks guys.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Get high in the dome.  Let everything come to temperature a good deal longer than you would for a cook on the grid.  Do not overload the dough.  Use parchment paper for the first few minutes, until is will slide out.  Turn the pies every few minutes until it is done.

Follow the directions on the dough.  I cook mine at 400.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    +1 on Follow the directions on the dough....I do all my pies at about 450° store bought or home made

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options

Get high in the dome.  Let everything come to temperature a good deal longer than you would for a cook on the grid.  Do not overload the dough.  Use parchment paper for the first few minutes, until is will slide out.  Turn the pies every few minutes until it is done.

Follow the directions on the dough.  I cook mine at 400.

Wow yours look fabulous!!!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options

+1 on Follow the directions on the dough....I do all my pies at about 450° store bought or home made

Thanks for the tip
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    As Doc said, I spin it from front to back after about five minutes
    MBGE in Charleston