Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Spike on BGE XL after wrapping ribs

I use a Digi Q to manage my temp. My grid temp was consistently at 275 prior to wrapping in foil. After wrapping my temp shot up to 325. How can I control this? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Perhaps I used too much lump charcoal or wood chunks? P.S. I am using the platesetter.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    did you leave your dome open while you were wrapping the ribs?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Yes , however the pit viper was in the bottom vent.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Agree... Open it, get the stuff off and close it. I also shut the bottom vent until I'm done.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    dstearn said:
    Yes , however the pit viper was in the bottom vent.
    And it was probably blasting away all the time hyping the flames. I use a Guru and I always act quickly, but if I know there is any chance of it open for even a minute I kill the power.
  • dstearn
    That makes sense. Thanks. I am still new to the BGE and BBQ Guru. The temp is slowly going down.
  • RRP
    take a look at my staging table post below or above!
  • dstearn
    Unfortunately my ribs were way overcooked as a result. The temp took over an hour to stabalize back to 275. Next time I will turn off the Digi Q and close the dome until the ribs are wrapped, assuming I decide to wrap again. Perhaps I am better off not wrapping.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The Digi-Q did exactly what you asked it to, control the pit temp. When you open the dome the pit probe cools with ambient air, the fans come on and stoke the fire. When you close the dome, the fire is roaring pretty good and the heat goes up. 
    As noted here, open the dome, remove the ribs, close the dome quickly. Powering off the fans is also a good idea if you have the dome open for long periods. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • So the CyberQ Wifi has a setting that supposedly takes into account the opening of the lid, does the digi-q have that setting as well? (I also have had the temp soar after trying to wrap ribs each time I have done them - 4 times so far. next time I'm going to try just straight 5 hours without wrapping to see how it works out)