Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burgers

Options
I had lunch last week with my boss and clients at Tex's BBQ in Nashville, and the conversation naturally went to BBQ and grilling.  I got to talking about the BGE, one of the clients was planning to get one soon and asked some good questions.  He asked about how was the grill for simple burger cooks, and I was not really able to answer, since I hadn't done burgers before.  (I did mention that I was still a novice on the egg.)

That has changed!  My first simple burgers, elevated direct, about 400 degrees, till internal temp was about 155.   Mesquite chips, and a -very- light brush of a new BBQ sauce after the flip.  Loved the one I ate, the rest are for next week's lunches.
Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Nice looking burgers! I am always up for a good BBQ conversation. :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is Tex's still good? Loved their bologna.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Options
    If you're a novice, I shudder to think what I am on the egg.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Burgers are one of the few cooks where I don't use a thermapen.  I judge by the texture of the meat and the clearness of the juices.  Yours looks good.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Great burgers Dave.......I've found that the hot and fast cooks, i.e., burgers, steaks and even chicken breasts are where the Egg really excels for me over anything else.  Low and slows are great and even or slightly better than what could be expected from high-end ($1K+) smokers I have used.  But the faster cooks are miles better than anything I've done.   Hence the versatility of the Egg!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I always use Grill Grates when doing burgers on the BGE.  The grease drops onto those tracks and just sizzles like crazy.  Eliminates the smoking factor. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Great looking burgers Dave!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    henapple said:
    Is Tex's still good? Loved their bologna.
    Yep. everyone agreed it was very good.  The smoked sausage was reported to be the best, I got the pulled pork plate, the others all got the sampler plate.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR