Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I Trim My Brisket Enough?

Options
RaleighGuy
RaleighGuy Posts: 207
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

This is my first time doing a whole packer, and I plan to put it on early tomorrow morning. Did I trim the thing enough? Trimmed a bit off the bottom(fat trimmings are in bowl next to brisket in first pic). Probably trimmed about .50 pounds off the bottom and a little off top where the point and flat meet. I wanted to error on the "I left to much fat on" side rather than the "I trimmed too much fat off" side. Hopefully the pics show up. First time posting pics on the new forum. 

imageimage

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You want to trim off the "hard" fat and leave about 1/4" of soft fat.  Looks fine to me....except you might want to remove some of that hard fat in the top of the 1st pic.

The brisket I last cooked I was laziest about removing fat and it came out the best.  I wouldn't worry about it.
    Options
    I agree with nola. Cut off all of that cap of hard fat on the top right. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • RaleighGuy
    Options
    Ok. So can you trim that hard fat between the point and flat all the way down? I will get rid of that fat before I put it on tomorrow morning. Also, how do you get iphone pics to show right side up? Should I take the pic holding the iphone a different way? Have a camera, but it is much easier to just use iphone. Thanks for the help! We don't know too much about briskets here in NC!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I wouldn't go super crazy and follow that fat vein too much.  Just remove the really thick, hard stuff. 

If your pictures are upside down, rotate your camera 180 degrees.  You can also rotate them with the software, but your phone is going to use the metadata for the picture to make it look right side up on the phone.
    Options
    Thanks! Will try to turn the phone next time. Used to using photobucket to post pics and not directly from computer. Will post brisket cook tomorrow also.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• RaleighGuy
    Options
    Just realized the full pic is correct but thumbnail is wrong so no problem.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm sure it's an idiosyncracy of your device.  I see the pics and thumbnails oriented the same.  Anyway, looking forward to seeing the final product.  Good luck!
    Options
    I agree with NOLA about getting that last bit on the top.  I also like to remove some of the hard fat between the point and flat (coming from the "bottom" in that top picture).

I used to not trim my briskets as much but my favorite brisket cooker in town is very aggressive with his, so I followed suit. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This