Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's damaged?? Cracks and chips!!!

Hey all.... i'm just stating this tread to see who currently uses a damaged egg even though it may be cracked or chipped and if you plan on using your warranty to get it fixed or are just going to live with it??

Just took a good chip outta my dome but it dosen't seem to effect anything as I can see:)

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• My firebox is in two pieces but still works and I have no plans to change it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    edited August 2013
    have replaced a large base and a small base, 1 firebox for the large, 1 firebox for the small. and 1 spring band on the large from when the bands were made in mexico(the first batch were all defective) have pop marks on the large and small domes. my third egg is in maine and gets treated the worst and no problems whatso ever with it
    :D lump grates dont last for me, i gave up and made my own
    :)) currantly my larges has a firebox in about a dozen pieces, almost afraid to take it out again but its time
    :)puzzle time, that large deleloped another base crack maybe 4 or 5 years ago that seems to be ok, not growing.

heres when my small base cracked during a frost, its not really a crackm more like the surface is popping off about half way thru, never seen this happen to another egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Fish... What do you do that is so hard on them?
    Southern Indiana
  • fishlessman
    Fish... What do you do that is so hard on them?
    i think it has to do with living too close to the water in newengland with freezing and thawing, both my camps are wet and humid and i think the ceramics absorb the moisture and cant handle the freeze at night. the two i have problems with sit 6 feet from the lake and get alot of winter use but thre problems seem to happen in november and march when the temps are up and down. now i cant explain the maine egg, it sits on a wet sandbar covered with 4 to 6 feet of snow all winter, come spring when i first light it i go low and slow til the moistuere stops coming out, this is the good egg, see how much moisture builds up in there
    :))

fukahwee maine

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    I'm suffering from hairline fractures to the fire ring and fire box, and a cracked charcoal grate on my LBGE.  None of these inhibit my cooking, although I definitely limit the removal of innards for a full clean out.  Eventually will make a warranty claim, but at this point there is no real need. 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Id never eat ANYTHING off that thing even knowing how good the food coming off it is.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @fishlessman - that is the ugliest egg I've ever seen. 
    Seems to me if you are storing an egg, why not either prop it open under cover or take the dome off and turn the halves upside down. 

Kinda like storing a fridge, you never leave it closed. 
    I'm glad I use mine all the time so I never have the problem....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I have a chip just below the bottom rim on my large. I know I did it but I don't have the faintest how. The cap on my mini was chipped during a fall. Neither is covered by warranty. My sister-in-law just took delivery on a large that has a small chip in the dome. The seller said he would send someone out to "fix" it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fishlessman
    hondabbq said:

Id never eat ANYTHING off that thing even knowing how good the food coming off it is.

it looks real bad in the pic, but a week of rain had it looking new again, it just happens first cook in the spring then looks good again
    fukahwee maine

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2013
    I have crack fire ring and top and bottom dome misalginment. I went as far as to loosen all the bolts and remove the springs. There was nothing to prevent it from lining up. Even after all that my domes never lined up. In short I will have to live with a misalgined XL. On my large I have a cracked cermaic cap. My fault. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    hondabbq said:

it looks real bad in the pic, but a week of rain had it looking new again, it just happens first cook in the spring then looks good again

Those tongs aren't invoking a lot of confidence either. they look just like the EGG.

Do they look better after a week of rain too?

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Its just the poors holding water. I bought a used egg once that you could feel the moisture inside and the clean burn ended up looking just like fishlessmans. I like that thing burn at 500 plus for like 6 hours and the inside was white again. Scrubbing that crap off the outside sucks though. Back to the original posting I have had a large and a medium base crack as well as many components inside.

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Re: damp egg. How about a shop light down into the Egg thru the opening in the top. Let it sit for a few days, should pull the moisture out. In stead of building a fire. It's a slow dry vs. a hot fire.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    The base on my large has been cracked for over a year.  I finally took my receipt and photo of the crack to my dealer and he handled the warranty.  He called a couple of days ago and told me the base will be coming with their next shipment.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Medium:

-Hairline Crack all the way across base and half way up one side
    -Firebox cracked into three separate pieces
    -Firering cracked into two peices
    -Grate cracked so many times it was replaced with High Que

XL:
    Still sitting pretty - Knock on wood
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • fishlessman
    Re: damp egg. How about a shop light down into the Egg thru the opening in the top. Let it sit for a few days, should pull the moisture out. In stead of building a fire. It's a slow dry vs. a hot fire.
    the light would need to be left on in 3 eggs yearround. i light the maine egg every friday from spring to fall just to dry it out for the weekend cooks. paste developes in the bottom from the ash if its not used in 2 or 3 days with the maine egg
    fukahwee maine