Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini

Newbie Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a mini about 4 months now. When I purchased it I anticipated high temps of around 1000 to 1200 degrees but it only goes as high as 700 and no more. All openings are clear. I do notice smoke coming from the bottom but upon inspection see no cracks. I'm wondering is it defective? Should I contact BGE? All comments welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    newbie ,[p] What you plan on cremating? (besides the gasket) I honestly don't beleive you can get enough lump in the mini to get to 1000 or more
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]I'm with ya Wolf, a steak on the mini at 700 is PERFECT! I'm not sure why you would want to go higher? I did some "bone-in" Allen Brothers beef fillet tenderloins a while back, and they were fantastic! Good luck![p]Keep smokin, Dana

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    newbie,[p]I'd say I'm with the others. [p]I love my mini for steaks, burgers, dogs, checken, etc, but I don't even have a thermometer on it. It get plenty hot to stear steaks! The heck with 1000 degrees![p]Keep Cooking!
    Smokey

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    newbie ,
    Dana is right - 700° is plenty for great steaks on the mini. I like to get my large a little hotter if I'm doing steaks on it, but no need on the mini 'cause the meat is so close to the fire.

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    ratfilets.jpg
    <p />newbie , cooked these two filets the other day 500° w/no problem.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    newbie ,
    700 is air temp, not the lump. lump burning in a 250 degree fire is at 1000-1200 or so, there's just not much of it to keep the environment above 250.[p]your mini is raging at 700, and the lump, within inches of the steak, is at 1200 or so.[p]the thermometer on a nuke-sear is only a rough indicator of how hot the fire is going.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    bprawns.jpg
    <p />newbie ,
    Bacon wrapped prawns tonight w/ salad. Precooked the bacon in microwave before wrapping. Wanted to make sure it was nice and crispy when I pulled off.
    500 is really all I need the mini to get up to. The meat is so close to the fire. Good for steaks, chops, seafood. IMHO.[p]Mike

• Sorry to bring up this old thread but I am wondering the maximum dome temperature people have achieved with the Mini so far.  I read 700 to 750 F is possible.  What about 800 F?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Grill_Nut said:
    Sorry to bring up this old thread but I am wondering the maximum dome temperature people have achieved with the Mini so far.  I read 700 to 750 F is possible.  What about 800 F?
    yes this is old run and hide!!!!image

anyways I only run my mini at 400-500 to cook chicken breasts chops @ the dome.  it is hard to measure an @ the coals temp, but i know they can g nuclear just like all other eggs.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

You can bury the needle in the mini. I have gotten the IR thermo to read almost 600 on the outside of the mini dome before.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I have gotten my mini well over 700 a few times on accident when i first got it. Lit it and ran inside for a few minutes. Came back out to a hot egg. Good thing with the mini is it cools down was quicker IMO.

By the way, this thread is old as @Mickey

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013