Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Luau food ideas

RLeeper
RLeeper Posts: 480
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
The wife is hosting a joint baby shower for our best friends. She decided to do a luau and wants me to cook the grub (and supply all of the liquor!) Does anyone have any ideas/recipes? Main dishes and sides... O and she doesn't want me to roast a whole pig...says it will make the ladies sick Thanks in advance
Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

I guess you need to get with SWMBO and decide what she means by luau.  You may offer to do some low&slow pork ( gotta get the pig in there somehow); huli-huli chicken; mai-tai's and beyond.

But she is driving the menu as I see it.  Good luck!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2013
    I'm doing this this weekend, and it could fly at your bbq. I'm doing sliders with teriyaki and pineapple like the burgers available in Hawaii.I also add sirachi. you pretty much have to do pulled pork also. oh and I use kings rolls.
  • RLeeper
    She is going all out with the hawaiian attire, music, grass skirts, just no full pig. The menu is up to me. Thanks for the ideas...I'll have to look at that chicken and the sliders look like a good option. Thanks
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

How about some Hawaiian Chicken Lollipops?

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150738/hawaiian-chicken-lollipops-pix

Just marinate them in some Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade and whatever rub you want.  Simple, cheap and delicious.  :)

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Pulled pork in place of the whole pig, beef ribs with soy/peach sauce, shrimp wrapped around a pineapple wedge wrapped in bacon, or just shrimp and pineapple skewers, teriyaki beef or chicken, Hawaiian sweet rolls. Pineapple coconut upside down cake (add some coconut to Griffins cake).
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I've thought about doing a luau pulled pork. Particularly if you wrap in foil, I'd wrap in banana leaves. It imparts a very particular flavor.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Ever been to Hawaii?  LOL, Spam and Crispy Cream donuts.  OK, to be helpful, I think pulled pork would be totally in tune with modern Hawaii.  Shrimp, salmon, chicken, and all would be good, with some sweet tropical fruit.  Main land concept of what goes on on Oahu is a lot more romantic than the real thing.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I was going to throw out the spam maki rolls .... I don't think they're that bad??
  • Kalua Pig (salted pork shoulder wrapped in banana leaves), teriyaki anything, mac salad.  I second huli-huli chicken.  Tuna, Ono, Mahi fish.  Poke is a great app.  Short ribs.  Kings sweet bread is another local treat.  Portuguese sausage and spam sliders.  Have fun

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    TonyA said:
    I was going to throw out the spam maki rolls .... I don't think they're that bad??
    I've had Spam Nigiri!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited July 2013
    I like spam... hell, the first few years I was in the Navy spam and scrambled eggs was what I had nearly every morning. They would put it in a paper plate and staple another on top as a lid and someone would come out to where I was moored under the crane to bring me my breakfast.

Anyways... some suggestions:
    • coconut shrimp
    • pork tenderloin and pineapple kabobs
    • papaya chicken salad (grilled then cooled)
    • mahi mahi with tropical fruit salsa
    • Chicken with Huli-Huli Sauce (like Hawaiian BBQ)
    • Lomi Lomi Salmon

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • AlohaCJS
    AlohaCJS Posts: 46
    Aloha!

Don't forget the POI!

Here is a link. Makes 1 pound. Probably more than enough, people just want to taste it.
    But is best when eaten with Kalua pig (pulled pork).

Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
  • RLeeper
    Awesome! Thanks for all of these ideas....now I need to narrow down the menu and get ready to Egg!