Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another lighting the Egg thread

I know this has been discussed ad infinitum, but was wondering if anyone had tried lighting the coal in the front only (by the handle) for low and slow cooks.  Was thinking this might have a smaller flame front as it would move across the coal rather than going out in all directions as a center light does.  I am going to try it on my next slow cook to see if it will help maintain a lower temperature more easily.  It might also somewhat compensate for the hot spot at the back of the Egg.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I have always lit the lump at the bottom of the lump load. For low&slows I do light only in one spot forward of dead-center but not right up front.  I use about 1/2 of a starter cube and once lit build up the lump to level the load.  Always have good success-for hot and fast I will light in two places, around 4 and 8 looking down at the lump for the same reasoning as you mention.  As you know, there are about as many ways to fire up the BGE as posters.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • aircooled
    aircooled Posts: 4
    I have the SS bottom grates and I light the mini with one weber cube slid underneath into the vent. 
    The large egg gets 2-3 cubes in the same fashion. Lights fast and easy and easy to control.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I think it was Stike that advised to light in the front on the top. The fire will follow the air down and to the back. Spread smoke wood throughout the lump. One of the first posts I read on this forum, so the electric starter goes on the top in the front. I also set the vents for what I know to be about right and give it an hour or so to stabilize, another Stike nugget I think. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

What ever became of

Stike?  A fountain of knowledge.

:-/
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

One of the worst things that can happen with a low and slow is the fire going out.   Not as bad with a Butt - cause you can run hotter - but with a brisket that you want to keep low it can be a problem.

Seems like the Egg burning maintains itself easier at 250 and above.

I always lite one place in the back dead center.  My theory is the fire will always reach towards the air - so its always wanting to climb forward towards the vent.

Think about a grass fire - always burns better when it is burning into fuel that is downwind.

The issue is some charcoal is more likely to core out - ie burn down and then die as opposed to spreading horizontal.    That is one of the reasons I do not use OO for low and slow.   Love the charcoal for hotter fires - just have dealt with too many core outs.

With a low temp charcoal you might get by with front lighting - but in my mind you are increasing your chance of a problem.

Cookin in Texas
  • My theory has been that the quicker it gets up to temp, the sooner I get the clean burn and can start smoking.

I use the looft lighter to start in the back, left and right of center, and front.

I havent really noticed a problem with running out of lump.
  • aircooled
    aircooled Posts: 4
    edited August 2013

boatbum said:

That is one of the reasons I do not use OO for low and slow. 

What's OO?
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Ozark Oak Charcoal
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa