Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at Caveman

Options
Been reading about Caveman for ribeyes. Decided to try it. SWMBO normally does not like a sear crust on steak but insists on rare, and I prefer rare as well. Cooked the cowboy bone in ribeye at 400 direct on stock grid at fire ring level. At approx. 115-120 IT, took out grid and threw steak on coals for one minute a side. Rested 15 mins. while asparagus got done. may be the best ribeye we ever had......and SWMBO agrees! Sorry no pics!
George
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Strong work.  Way to overcome that initial visceral/nausea feeling that you get when you start to toss a great piece of meat directly on the coals.  After you do it a few times that feeling goes away and you just feel all warm and fuzzy inside as you do it - especially when you do it in front of friends who have never seen it before.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Foghorn....thanks.....we are sold on it!

George
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    How'd it come out for done ness? I normally pull at 110 for MR and then go to the coals.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    That IT was an approximation..may have been a little lower in some spots with the thermapen.....came out great!
    George