Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Table

My wife bought me a table for my XL (birthday gift). She thinks the dealer said they are made locally, but I'm not sure. In any event, it is made of cypress, it came unfinished and partially assembled. Last weekend, we applied 3 coats of spar urethane. We assembled the table today. She bought the optional stainless steel skin for the table surface. I can't decide which version I prefer -wood or SS. I don't know if the dimensions are quite right. With the bottom shelf as it is, it will raise the egg about 2-2 1/2 inches compared to what it is in the nest. Also, it seems like the egg will protrude through the hole more than I normally see with other tables. I'm going to take some more measurements and decide if I want to lower the shelf a little bit. These XL eggs are too heavy for us to do a test fit. If I err on the side of too low for the shelf, I can just add extra pavers. Anyway, what do you folks think about the SS surface. Keep it or lose it? It's going to go on the deck (where you can see the BGE in the background), if that affects your opinion.

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Wood looks good but with ss, no worrys, easy clean up, sit hot items on it. Sitting sun or sun rise might be issue for shorts times of day due to glare.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited July 2013
    Stainless steel. Glares--- sunglasses. Nice gift. My wife gave me a pat on the back for my birthday
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd use the stainless for now...it's like a condom for the wood top.  Table looks nice.
    Depending where you live this SS may get too hot. Know it would here. Otherwise I like this SS better. Too easy to damage the wood top.
  • bmac55
    bmac55 Posts: 20
    Depending where you live this SS may get too hot. Know it would here. Otherwise I like this SS better. Too easy to damage the wood top.

Yeah, the Georgia heat has me concerned a little. I can put a cover on it if heat becomes a problem, I guess. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • nolaegghead
    Take a frown and turn it upside down.  That thar is more cooking surface!
    edited July 2013
    Take a frown and turn it upside down.  That thar is more cooking surface!

Good idea. A new hibachi grill! 

Well, my lower shelf height concerns were mostly unfounded. I checked the dimensions on XL BGE table plans on the mother ship web site. Same as mine. Hmmmm. Checked the plans for the Large table and the lower shelf to table surface is 15". "This cant be right" , I thought. 12.5" for the XL and 15" for the large. 

Now, at this point you smart people are probably moving on to more interesting reading. But, I stopped by the dealer where my wife bought the table because she saw the same table on display there and I wanted to see theirs with an egg in it and see how it looked. Sure enough, they had a Large BGE on a table just like mine. So I measured the distance from the lower shelf to the table surface and it was, in fact, 15". Then, my wife measures the height of both the large and XL eggs and to my surprise (but now making me feel very foolish) the large egg is actually almost 3" taller than the XL. Go figure. 

I still may drop my lower shelf height a couple of inches to compensate for table nest. But, at least now I am at ease with the stock dimensions of the table.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I like nola's idea. Put a hat on that soldier!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks like you're under a cover.. Use the ss.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bmac55
    henapple said:
    Looks like you're under a cover.. Use the ss.

Yeah, we assembled the table on my screened porch. But, it will be moved outside when I install the egg.
  • bmac55
    Well, I have finally received my table nest. Before we put this thing together, does the nest alone provide sufficient separation from the BGE and the table or do I need a paver as well? I know the paver would at least offer a little insurance, but if its not necessary, I would like to avoid the added height.
  • bmac55
    Well, I think we can just about call this project done. I still need to find and install some hooks, but I think this is the final photo for this thread. Thanks to all who offered comments.
  • nolaegghead
    Turned out very nice!