Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt pizza

FireTower
FireTower Posts: 69
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a bunch of pizzas last night. I was cooking at about 650 degrees and the first few pies were great. Occasionally I hit 700 degrees. Then something strange started to happen. After about four pizzas, the bottoms started to burn before the dough was completely cooked. Has anyone else experienced this. What did I do wrong?

Also, check out the attached picture of my egg the day after cooking pizzas. The fire got so hot that it cleaned my egg. Does that mean I got it too hot?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I think so, yes too hot. 
    For multiple pies a lower temp works for me. Also the stone seems to get hotter, the first few pies cool it, but after three or four, it is out of control. I use a damp (not wet) cloth to cool the stone a bit, works for me, temp target is in the 500-550º range. 
    @Solson05 has done some big pie cooks, hopefully he'll chime in....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree way too hot, which was proven by your cleaned egg interior. There are different opinions but for me I much prefer my PS legs down which already means the mass of it is further from the fire, then I place 3 1" copper elbows on the PS and place my stone on top of them. No need for the metal grate that way. I find I have a far more stable stone that way, no hot spots according to my infrared thermometer and even multiple pizzas come out fine.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I usually bake my pies at similar (or higher) temperatures but I use 00 flour. If you use regular flour, 650 is too hot. With regular flour between 450 and 550 would be better.

What is the black stuff on the sides of your stone?

The longer the stone in the egg the more heat it absorbs.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    Maybe a very thin crust pizza might cook properly at those high temps. and i'm talking real thin. But any thicker crust takes time to cook and at those temps, it's gonna burn before its cooks all the way.  I do thicker crust at 450 and can do thin crust at higher temp if I don't load too much on for toppings. Just my two cents  

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.