Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the BGE digital termometer

Options
I was buying some accessories last night and almost pulled the trigger on the BGE wireless thermometer.  I kind of liked the idea of being able to monitor the meat and dome temp from inside the house!!!

any of you guys have any experience with this model?

I know I am going to be getting a thermapen based on the high praise folks give to it on this forum but was also curious about the some of th eother options out there including the wireless BGE unit.
gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    There are simuliar products out there cheaper. I use the Maverick 73 $35 to the door amazon. I love it. When I feel lazy my go to is the Thermapen.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    thanks I will check that out!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I've got the BGE wireless thermometer and it's fine. I have only used it twice (brisket and butt), but both times it worked great. I checked the calibration with boiling water and it was accurate out of the box.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    thanks!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    six_egg said:

There are simuliar products out there cheaper. I use the Maverick 73 $35 to the door amazon. I love it. When I feel lazy my go to is the Thermapen.

I don't actually use them, but I strongly agree with the general sentiment that you'll find similar, non-branded products much cheaper. It is like their lump vs Royal Oak; once BGE is on the package, the price jumps 25% or more.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the BGE one IS the Maverick 73, just rebranded.  Which makes @Acn 's comment spot on.

I have it (it was a gift) and works well. The alarms could be a little louder and I've found that my range isn't very good (needs to be in the line of sight), but overall, I've been pretty pleased.  I fried the smoker probe and ordered a Maverick ET 73 2-pack and they worked no problem. For the same price (within a few bucks on sale), you can get the Maverick 732 on Amazon and from what I've heard/read, it's a slightly better product.
    --------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

• mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Options
    If you check the pkg back it actually shows it is by Mav. My buddy got one.
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting