Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the egg from the bottom

Options
Toy Man
Toy Man Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I remember reading several posts about lighting the egg from the bottom thru intake and under the grate. Hmm - think I will try that with my Guru Golf Club. Only tried it for two cooks so far but it will be the way I light my fire from now on.[p]Seemed to give a much more even lighting of the charcoal (and more even heat at the grid?). And very little ash with almost no little pieces of charcoal on top of the grate at the end of the cook.[p]Have only tried this with medium to high heat cooks. Not sure how it will work with low and slow but I will be checking it out.[p]Toy Man

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Toy Man,
    I used to do that with my small and often recommended it, but merely using a Weber cube. Reason is the up draft from underneath gives a whopping hot fire in the end. OTOH the reason I quit doing it was I found it consumes far more - if not all the lump.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Yes it did consume more charcoal but I had about 1/3 of the load left, probably because I was using Wicked Good. This was in my small.[p]And I suspect I may have problems with temp control in a low and slow but it makes such a beautiful fire that I plan on starting my fires for grilling and searing this way. At least in the small. My large is disassembled until we finish off a renovation to the deck.[p]Toy Man