Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Halibut: Two Thumbs Up!

Options
abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I planked about 2.5 lbs of 3/4" halibut last night. I used two 12" cedar planks, though I put foil on one thinking I didn't want to over-smoke the fish (which turned out to be good idea). I sorta soaked the one plank. Left it in the sink for a while and ran the faucet over it a few times. I, of course, used direct heat on the regular grate and dialed it in at 400-425 degrees for cooked it for 15 minutes.

It was outstanding!! Everyone raved and it was perfectly moist. I smeared a little butter on before cooking, dusted it with a few breadcrumbs and a little garlic salt and that was that. Tasted even better today as a cold left-over.

Also successful were the (Costco) assorted fingerling potatoes which I made before the halibut and kept them warm in the oven while the fish cooked. Threw a small chunk of dry oak in, coated them lightly in olive oil and shook on some kosher salt. Put them on the elevated rack for more than an hour at all kinds of temps (somewhere in the middle of the margarita it hit about 600 deg., but I stayed mostly in the 400's. Cooked till creamy.

Less successful were the scallops wrapped in prosciutto. Cooked perfectly at 4 minutes a side, but they didn't get crusty and the prosciutto didn't get charred. Probably needed the fattier bacon. Or something. The result was kinda bland and boring.

Comments

• tkhelm
    tkhelm Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Looks like it's been a while since anyone has done halibut on a cedar plank. We just finished dinner and our version came out great! I combined advice from a number of different sources and here are what I think were the key elements:

1) Followed the advice of the fish seller at the farmers market, basting with butter and lime (rather than lemon) and herbs from the garden.

2) Placed the 1 1/4" halibut steak on the water-soaked cedar plank, on a bed of thickly sliced limes.

3) Dome temp at about 375 until the internal temp of the fish was 130. [I was worried about over-cooking so opened the lid too many times. It took about 20 mins in the end]

4) Transferred it to a plate and wrapped in foil to rest for 5-10 mins

Came out flaky and moist, with a bit of flavor from the cedar plank, which made it richer without overpowering.

Note to self: After removing the fish from the BGE don't just walk away with the lid up and forget it. My wife's ears picked up the crackling sound before I did: we had a fairly serious bon fire going on the grate, with the plank fully engulfed in flames. I lost some hair on my arm closing the lid and shutting off the air supply!