Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storm coming...what to save?

Options
We were lucky to just get missed by a storm with baseball sized hail. A half hour ago, the weather service issued an alert that sent us scrambling to prepare. I have to admit, the egg found safety before my car. What would be the first thing saved in your yard?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    What you did.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Let you tell me about the hail storm and my pool screen.........

Actually, to respond to your question, this guy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Are we talking about a regular storm or a Sharknado?  Because nothing is safe from a Sharknado.

Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Almost got my sharknado shelter finished today (but it was hot, 106 yesterday).  Thank goodness for sequestrations/furlough!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Botch said: Thank goodness for sequestrations/furlough!  
    Yup, got a lot of Out of Office responses to emails yesterday.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options

The egg and the wife.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options

We had a wet microburst hit our house last week.  The wife calls me at work freaking out and says the house is shaking.  Once I figure out what is going on, I ask her where she is at in the house.  Instead of answering the question, she tells me that our trampoline just shot straight up into the air along with our storage building.  At this point I know she is upstairs and I tell her to get into an interior room downstairs.  My second thought to her safety was how the hell is my Egg.  Once things calmed down I had her go check out the back yard.  Almost our entire backyard was missing, including our fence.  However, the XL was in the same place I left it and all was well.  The Egg was one of the least expensive items we lost but the one I was most happy that it was still there.  It doesn’t make logical sense but sometimes emotions trump logic.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• williamadamsesq
    Options
    Storms are no bother if you have the right dog
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options

I would save the egg!

RV10 where are you located? there was a wet microburst here last week did a lot of damage

Lenoir, N.C.
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options
    piney said:

I would save the egg!

RV10 where are you located? there was a wet microburst here last week did a lot of damage

@piney we are just north of Dallas. Two gust fronts converged over DFW and produced a few nasty but very isolated events.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My neighbor has a wine cellar we all use... Gotta love those storms. My egg usually sits in the cave. If the cave is gone... I won't be worried about the egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    Easy choice for me.  We have a 2 car garage -- one half of which gets the wife's family hauler and the other side is full of kids junk.   It would take me a good 30 minutes to clear the area to park my car inside.  My time is better spent finding a safe place for the egg.  

Now, if my car was something like a Porsche 911 or an Aston Martin....I'd pull the minivan out of the garage, pull my ride into safety, and then tend to the egg.  Lucky for the egg and the minivan, I don't own a car like that.  I think the egg and the minivan are forever safe.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I believe the BGE will survive anything tossed its way much better than most anything else I own.  Lump may be a challenge however... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.