Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs

I remember seeing something on Turbo Ribs here a while ago.

Can you help me with your ideas and insight?

Thanks

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

@Mickey is the expert, but if I remember correctly it goes something like this:

Get egg to 350 degrees.  Rub ribs and put them on.  Cook for 1 hour and 40 minutes.  Glaze ribs with sauce.  Cook for 20 more minutes.  Eat great ribs.

I've done them this way once.  I couldn't tell a difference in the final product between this and a lower and slower cook. 

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    This is what I do and anyone who has had my ribs rave about how good they are.  I do not like falling off the bone tender.  Works with spares or BB's.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144307/my-turbo-ribs-tonight#latest

These are some back Loin ribs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Thanks 

Just put them on.  I had enough time to do low and slow but I wanted to try the turbo method.
    Wish me luck
  • Foghorn
    @Dave in Florida, I should have remembered that you also have contributed some good info about higher temp rib cooks. My apologies. I guess I just block you out because my mom is a Seminole so I was raised in a household that appropriately recognized all Gator fans as lowlife scum. :))

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    @Dan4BBQ, let us know how it goes. Post pics!

San Antonio, TX

• Dan4BBQ
    I did smoke for 2 hours at 350 turning once.  Foiled them with apple juice for 1 hour piled on the rib rack. Lastly, I put sauce on and served great fall off the bone ribs.  Too many helpers to entertain so I forgot about the pictures.

Thanks for all of your help.

Dan
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    So, what was the verdict? Were they good?
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Dan4BBQ
    They were good as usual and saved me 3 hours.  It did use a lot more coal.  I had to add coal to do the chicken breasts.  Next time I'll just start with more coal--I thought that I had plenty.

Thanks 
  • Foghorn
    Strong work. Glad you enjoyed it.

San Antonio, TX