Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lightning Strike cooked my Electronics

Had severe weather here in central Alabama and a lightning strike mighty close to our house. Sounded like touching two battery cables touching together inside the house. Lost both Direct TV  boxes. When the the new boxes were hooked up we found out that the HDMI ports were cooked on our TV's. The ? is can those ports be repaired or am I better off just buying new TV's. Thanks 

Bob

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Call your insurance company......it's covered.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    How old is the TV?  More than a couple years old and I'd buy new unless it was a very high end set.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2013
    Same thing happened to me.  The component jacks still worked, so I just switched cables.
    This happened to a friend and his insurance replaced most of the electronics in his house.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Happened to me my 60" sharp got fried. Ordered a new power supply board off eBay for $90 and a couple screws later it was fixed. Take the back of the tv off and see if the part with all the plugs is removeable. I believe it was on mine and would have been easy to swap.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Thanks guy's for the comments. 1K deductable on ins. Switched to video input on the TV's and they worked. However can't get 1080 HD from the satelite. Msg says the TV is not compatible. Just going to bite the bullet and get new sets, they are both about 5 yrs old. (The boxes were replaced by Direct TV free of charge). 

Thanks again.  

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Lit said:
    Happened to me my 60" sharp got fried. Ordered a new power supply board off eBay for $90 and a couple screws later it was fixed. Take the back of the tv off and see if the part with all the plugs is removeable. I believe it was on mine and would have been easy to swap.
    My ports are permanent and not replaceable...Thanks

Opelika, Alabama