Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Howdy from a soon-to-be new Egghead

Options
New2Q
New2Q Posts: 171
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Been lurking here for a while now picking up information.  I'll be going to look at my egg options this weekend and will get one soon after completing my paver extension to the covered back patio on my house.  I want to be able to roll the BGE out from under the covered patio so I don't get smoke discoloring the patio ceiling hence extending the patio with pavers.

A friend of mine sent me this picture from a local dealer and I nearly cried with joy at the thought of an Egg Table with casters.  Now the only question will be how fast will my wallet be emptied by Eggcessories. ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" from the Dallas area and thanks to all of you who have posted useful tips and techniques to help this new to BBQer get started.  It seems the most important thing I've learned is use a little common sense, a little food science and don't be afraid to try stuff.

Eggs.jpg 310.9K

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    The thing that usually loses the most weight when one get's an egg, is one's wallet ;)

Welcome!
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Bet you will have some new friends soon.  Big Texas contingent on here. Stop wasting time and get back to that patio.
    MBGE in Charleston

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options
    Welcome, was that picture taken at Elliot's in Plano?

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

That looks like Elliott's in Plano.

I bought my son's LBGE. Nice folks.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I was there a couple of weeks ago with the wife and grand kids. She said she liked the fancy table with the curved doors. I said " Look at that Mini!" I think you need one. So she may have one soon.

A Mini, that is not the table!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Welcome.....can never have too many Texans!  You'll love the Egg, trust me.  And you might just check craigslist too for tables.  Usually a few nice ones there (new and used) for quite a bit less than what you'll find retail. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you get that egg soon. :D
    Options
    Thanks all.  Yep, that's Elliot's in Plano.  Personally I prefer the wood tables to the curved-door plastic one but that's just me.

And yeah, time to stop looking at all the wonderful cooks going on here and get to work on the pavers!
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    By the way Hotch, what's the deal with the Mini?  I see a bunch of folks here that either have or want Minis in addition to the Eggs they already have.  It is just a good way to get additional temps and smoke/no smoke for wings or veggies while the larger Egg has the main protein going on?
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Another Texan! :D  Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Options
    Welcome.Get that egg fast and let the adventure begin. The egg is just a part of the expense. It all depends how much you want to spend. Once you really get addicted the sky is the limit.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • I stopped in to that same store in Plano when I was there this winter! Good people there. You will love your Egg!!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestlye @New2Q!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

A mini allows you to do small cooks, mostly direct, with speed and efficiency. Also good to have when you need to cook vegies or taters and have the large going at the same time. And I would think it travels well.

I think Mickey would be a good one to ask.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    When I bought my large, I was sure it was the last grill/smoker I would ever own. I am now saving for either a small or mini. The addiction feeds itself. Welcome aboard. The way you cook and eat is about to change!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.