Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole chicken in the Mini!

Options
Markasef
Markasef Posts: 5
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum

Hi, I’m the proud owner
of a Mini for several weeks.

Cooking a whole chicken
has been on my mind from the first second. I tried it, and the result was just
amazing.

Firstly,
I took out the upper ceramic ring and placed the indirect stone instead.

I
bought a simple, cheap ring-cake form (22cm diameter), put some vegetables
underneath and pour a bit of beer on it.

This
way an average size chicken fits perfectly into the egg.

The
only headache was the thermometer. I didn’t want to touch it, so the solution
is: cutting out the neck of the chicken completely. The free zone there is the
right place for the thermometer while cooking.

This
way the temperature really drops in the Mini.

The
indirect stone, and the body of the chicken together reduce the temperature
inside. However, it is still around 160 Celsius (the thermometer shows 130, but
it can’t be really precise because of the egg being overpacked).

The
result? Something really delicate, succulent, juicy and tender meat. 

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Awesome! And welcome. Where are you located?
    Mamaroneck
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Very nice looking cook indeed.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Looking good! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Markasef
    Markasef Posts: 5
    Options
    Budapest, Hungary.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    Nice cook. I just received my mini last week and I want to do a chicken on it this weekend. Thanks for the ideas on how to accomplish.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You cooks looks very good. Just one other way: spatchcocked direct and raised on Mini at 400. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TrueBlue2
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You cooks looks very good. Just one other way: spatchcocked direct and raised on Mini at 400. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Mickey, have you posted directions and photos on this method? I am new to the mini green egg, and I have a whole chicken to cook this evening on my new egg, but have nothing to stand the chicken up with, any suggestions?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TrueBlue2 said:
    Mickey said:
    Mickey, have you posted directions and photos on this method? I am new to the mini green egg, and I have a whole chicken to cook this evening on my new egg, but have nothing to stand the chicken up with, any suggestions?
    you may have better luck starting a new post since this one is, like Mickey, very old. he still pops in every once in a while but he's off travelling the country most of the time these days. Hell, he had a job when he posted this :)

search spatchcock chicken on here and you'll get all the info you need. I'm sure other mini owners will be glad to help (I don't have a mini or I would as well). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Nicely done.  Gotta love the mini!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Awesome job. Big meat in tight spaces is where it’s at. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    @TrueBlue2, there are numerous ways you can cook a whole chicken on a mini,depending on your setup and eggcessories. If it’s 3.5 lbs or so, you can roast it like this, indirect. This was using the mini woo and pizza stone. 

If its larger (4 or 5 lbs) and you don’t have fancy eggcessories, you can always go indirect and drape a spatched chicken over a ball of foil. 

It also also helps to unclasp the thermometer so it slides freely in and out of the dome (to avoid it touching the bird).  The wine cork modification is simple and useful. Trim a cork, use a bamboo skewer to start the hole, then slide the thermometer through. Hope this helps!  Have fun. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Here’s a pic of the wine cork mod:

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I use the clip on the therm before inserting it in the egg. Creates the same space on the outside. Traveling this week so I don’t have a picture to explain what I mean.