Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings, almost thawed...

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I got off work early today and decided to make some wings for dinner.  Only ones I had were frozen, so I put them in a bag with 4 cups water, 1/2cup salt and 1/2 brown sugar brine, but more to thaw them out quicker.  Left them in the fridge for about 2.5 hrs and then rinsed.  They were partially thawed but not all the way through.  Threw some Old Bay, corn starch and some Poultry Magic rub on them and shook it all up in a ziplock, let them sit on a tray uncovered for about an hour and a half before I put them on the egg.  Indirect about 350, not sure how long it will take since they were not completely thawed.  Any idea how this experiment might turnout?  
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I believe that the BGE will come to the rescue-the challenge will be how long to get there.  You have a good wing cook time based on thawed wings-add around 30 mins or so to this batch and pull one to test-then go from there.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    edited July 2013
    Should turn out fine! I always cook my wings for over an hour at 350 to 400 deg f until the skin is nice and crispy. The internal temp of my wings are always somewhere around 195 or 200 deg f at that point, but they are still plenty moist on the inside. It's hard to dry out a wing IMO. With the wings partially frozen in the center, you should still be fine. All you need is for the internal temp to be 170 deg f.
  • jls9595
    great, thanks guys
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Good Luck, 1st advice would be to evaluate the College team yous support, to many disappointments, Roll Tide Roll LOL
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • jls9595
    Aquacop said:
    Good Luck, 1st advice would be to evaluate the College team yous support, to many disappointments, Roll Tide Roll LOL
    It goes in cycles man. It's easy for you guys right now, I remember a 10-2 stretch against ya'll from '95-'06.   :D, good times. We'll get back sooner rather than later.   

Wings turned out great, best batch I've made so far(3rd total only).  I will go easier on the cornstarch next time though.  Took about an hour and 45min to get to 170F.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I was about to say, sounds like you did it right.  You only care if the outside is thawed so you can put the seasoning/starch on without it falling off.  Wings are often sold frozen (and pre-seasoned) and the instructions say just throw them on like that.
    I take mine from the freezer and drop them on the floor a few times to break the frozen parts up (caution "Don't do this on your wife's counter" I got to fix that one day! ), then fill the bag with water and sit it in the sink while I light the egg. Back to the sink drain the water from the bag and refill. Back out to the egg and close the dome and set the vents so the egg comes up to temp of 375-400. By this time the ice on the outside of the wings should have melted, rinse each part under the tap and spread the wings out on a tray and put a light coating of spices on the top. When the egg is ready place wings on the egg for direct heat spiced side up. After 15min turn the wings and dust them with the spices of your choice (We prefer the John Henry Apple Chipotle). I try to turn my wings about every 15min or so keeping a eye out for the hot spot on the grill and keep them moved around so they will all be ready about the same time. I also use the thermapin when they look ready and try to pull them when they hit 170 (Yes I check everyone for that temp, some may go over just don't burn them).  When done remove from the grill and wrap in foil and they are ready to eat. We only use the Tyson chicken around here, they seem to have more meat than the others we have tried. Enjoy your wings.

I went to bed last night mean and woke up meaner !  
    "Matt Dillon"