Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying gasketless

Options
My nomex gasket finally cooked off si I'm gonna try going without one. I did pizzas on sunday with great results. I plan on doing a shoulder this weekend to see how she does on a low-n-slow. I was never a lid dropper anyway, so I should be ok.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I tried gasket-less too when I burned up my original cheap felt gasket. Worked fine for cooking but ate up the lump big time when I went to shut it down. Didn't like that.  Put on a Rutland and couldn't be happier.  Made a big lump consumption savings on my egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    You've  got the plan-it's all about "can you control the air-flow to get the BGE to perform in a manner you can handle".  Low&slow is a great measuring stick to see if you can dial in the temp you want-about the only other commando issue is when shutting it down.  Clear those two and you are part of the "club".  Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    No gasket for a long time. Temp control is right on. I may burn up a little more lump on shutdown but not much. I would like to get a Rutland some time though.
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    I've went both ways. I prefer having a gasket. Especially when the wife is grilling as she doesn't' have as tender a touch when closing the lid. 
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Mine turned to toast on my first pizza cook.  Didn't affect any of my cooks, including low and slow in negative temps all winter long.  Shut down took a bit longer but I could live with that.  The mothership sent a replacement and since I did like the feel of how it closed with the gasket, I went and changed it.  It does save quite a bit more lump but not the most important thing IMO
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX