Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking sausage, what temp and how long?

Today ill be smoking my first sausage.  I bought it from whole foods.  I was thinking about 250-275 for about 2 hours.  Does that sound accurate?  I plan on using apple wood.

My wife, who does not eat pork, prefers turkey sausage.  She does not like much smoke flavor.  Any options for cooking both at same time?  I may just put hers on the gasser. 

Comments

• BBQSox
    BBQSox Posts: 1
    I just did some last night. Raised grill at 250 for about 40 minutes. They were juicy and delicious. Read about 190 on the thermapen so more than cooked enough.

I think if you want to smoke for longer I would go at 200-225.

Hope that helps!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I cook them hotter, raised direct.  Maybe 20 - 30 minutes and they are browned and pick up some smoke flavor.  2 hours would seem like a lot  unless you want them really smokey, although it can depend upon what wood you are using. For example, 2 hrs with mesquite would be pretty strong, while an hour with peach would not be as intense.

Gasser for the turkey is fine given the objectives.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.