Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mess of Chicken

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Sitting around watching tv yesterday (instead of cleaning house before Mrs. G got home like I should have) and I got a hankering for some wings. So I ran up to the store and while getting the wings I spotted a large package of legs. I figured since I was firing up the Egg, why not fill it all the way up and get some protein for lunches later this week? Wings got dusted with Dizzy Pig Firewalk and the legs got a mix of Stubb's and Dizzy Dust. Got the Egg fired up to 400F with some mesquite for smoke and a raised direct cook with my Adjustabe Rig.

Lunch is served, the sauce was just the standard 1/2 cup Frank's, cut the butter from 1/3 to 1/2 stick, juice of half a lemon, some garlic powder, onion powder and a coupla squirts of sriracha. Tasted it and it wasn't hot enough, so some red pepper flakes, cayenne and more sriracha.

Talk about lip burning!! Good stuff. Legs took a bit longer, but now I have some lunches for later in the week.

Gotta say it was a pretty fine day. Egg was chugging along doing its own thing, the rain was coming down all day not affecting the temps of the Egg, but the weather...so nice. Can't believe that it's July in Dallas and temps were probably in the 80's! They're saying we're not even going to make it to the 80's today. The only problem I had with this cook was my thermapen...I couldn't find it. Tore the house apart looking for it before I remembered I left it at a buddy's house the weekend after 4th of July. Had to use a slow ass probe that goes with my Tru-temp timer and boy is that thing slow. Oh well. Still a nice Sunday afternoon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Great cook as always Griffin. Those wings look outstanding.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Nice cook Griffin. Is the DP firewalk hot? I am looking for a rub to put on wings with a real kick.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great @Griffin.

For future reference, going from 1/3 to 1/2 a stick of butter is actually an increase. ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

@six_egg yeah, the firewalk has got some kick to it, mine's proabably not considered "fresh" anymore, because I always forget I have it, but it hasn't mellowed much from when I got it.

@TexanOfTheNorth - whoops. I meant I cut it back from a 1/3 of a cup of butter, to a half a stick (1/4 cup since a stick is 1/2 a cup). I've been thinking 1/3 of a cup always seemed like too much, sometimes the sauce wouldn't seem to mix properly, like the butter wouldn't get taken into solution all the way. Cutting it down seemed to work great. Might cut it down more next time.

Rowlett, Texas

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Might try cutting the butter back a bit myself. Have you tried the Tabasco Buffalo wing sauce? It has a pretty good flavor.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    In the wing sauce I use less than 1/2 of the recommended butter and it comes out good, but I've never used the full amount so maybe its a case of I don't know what I'm missing. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

Your frequent use of tater tots puts you up a couple notches in my book. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    SaltySam said:

Huge tot lover here too.

Tots are to @Griffin as mini is to @Mickey
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Nice job, @Griffin! Looks like a lot of tasty lunches for you this week.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You clean house as well. Like you more and more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    <
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great, I forgot my thermapen when I took my egg to a buddies and feel your pain. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    SaltySam said:

A real Tater Tot treat is to wrap them in par-cooked bacon then on the egg.   Yummo.  If you really want to hurt your wallet tots wrapped in prosciutto  ain't too shabby either.  Cooks illustrated did a recipe for making home made tots. They are great, PIA, but great.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Options

@TexanOfTheNorth - no, I have not. Might be sacrilege, but I'm not a big Tabasco fan. From what I remember, I always thought it was too vinegary.

@Chubbs - =))  Ok, guess I'll take that. Love me some tots.

@Mickey - when the wife is away for a week, somebody has to destroy...I mean clean up the evidence of what went on. Or in this case, what didin't go on, like cleaning up after myself. ;)

@Austin_Egghead - love bacon wrapped tots. Haven't done them in years, though. I need to try prosciutto. Good idea.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Queen Tater Tot! That's what I'm calling you from now on. ;) hehe
  • Griffin
    Options
    This coming from the Queen of Quesadillas? :D

Rowlett, Texas