Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt tonight

The wife said yes, so I'm jumping at my chance!! (That joke never gets old, btw). Bone-in Kroger butt, 6.5lbs-says moist and tender on the package due to injection of a water solution. Does that change the expected cook time @ 250-275? Does the bone in change the cook time? Probably try to start this around 10-11pm hoping it'll be ready to pull by 9:30 so I can make my 11am tee time.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Injection and bone presence or absence won't impact cook time.  Now, when you reference 250-275 temp I will base the remaining comments on that being a calibrated dome temp.  If that's your planned grid temp then that changes things.  Given you are stable in your desired temp range (stable-no vent movements for about an hour at temp) then you can expect around 1.5 hrs/# for the cook-so around 9-10 hrs total.  But all butts behave on their own-I would check your progress around 6-7 AM and adjust as needed (if finished then FTC, if not then dial up the BGE to around 300-320 and punch it home).  FWIW-YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks Lou-I just got a dual probe therm that I'll use to watch the grid temp also, but was figuring on 250-275 dome, yes.
  • lousubcap
    With the bone in, the best finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean.  You are there and that is somewhere around 195-205 for most butts.  The 1.5 hrs/# estimate above is based on the 270-275*F dome temp.  If it stabilizes at a lower temp let it run (don't chase temps)  and you can always punch it home in the AM.  Many try to time the butt finish-better to finish early and FTC then chase it and curse the butt and your tee time. Google "texas crutch" for another method to power it home.  Just more info to add to the mix.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Great advice-thinking further about it I'm going to try to go closer to 275-285 overnight-I'm hoping it can go closer to 1.5hrs per lb based on everything else going on-the other part is that my wife and I are lidless tonight and want some time to check out a new place before I start the cook. If I was really brave I'd start it in the morning and go golfing, but I don't think I want to be away for six hours. Or maybe I will-I'll hopefully be sleeping for longer than that anyways. Hmmmmm.....
  • lousubcap
    I would load the BGE (size ?) up into the fire ring and light it around 7-8 PM (EDT).  Give it a few hours to stabilize (and enjoy life w/o lids)  then toss the butt on around 10-11 and let it run.  The key to sleeping w/o the controller assist is to have it stable before loading the meat.  The temp will dip when you open the dome but will recover to the same temp.  I run w/o a controller and check about four hours after the meat goes on.  Enjoy the journey as it's a great ride!
  • I have a large. We're leaving now to go out for a while so I've decided (finally!) to fire it up first thing in the AM and let it go while I'm golfing.
  • lousubcap
    You should search "turbo Butt" for the way to get it done in short order-I don't use that method but many here do and swear by it.  Many ways to hit the finish-line.  Good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • Thanks, Lou-back home a little earlier than expected and might just skip golf altogether. To say that I'm indecisive would be an understatement.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Dragonwmatches Posts: 221
    edited July 2013
    Ok, rolled over @ 6am, conscious enough to start the lump. Went back to bed. 8am, back awake for good, added some hickory chunks, put the butt on, put the new Remington in place, grid showing 257 and steady. Lets see what this thing looks like in 9-12 hours!
  • Ok, moved the grid probe over the PS and its settled @ 225, but dome shows 290. That seems quite a bit off-its a sunny morning & about 85% humidity.
  • Alright-dumb question, perhaps-put a drip pan on top of some foil balls to lift it off the PS, but it is touching the underside of the grate-what's the chance the pan might burn or get really nasty? Cheap foil pan from Kroger.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You will be fine as long as you have air space between PS and drip pan.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Meat temp rising fast-already to 91. Odder is dome temp showing 345 while grid probe shows 252. Almost 100 degrees difference?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

Alright-dumb question, perhaps-put a drip pan on top of some foil balls to lift it off the PS, but it is touching the underside of the grate-what's the chance the pan might burn or get really nasty? Cheap foil pan from Kroger.

I always start with some water in my drip pan and I never leave an air space. At one point, the watet will be replaced by fat dripping from the butt.

That's quite a temp difference-both calibrated...longer the dome is shut the lower the delta T but don't often hear of almost 100*F difference.  Hard to screw up a butt-as long as you are paying attention to it then you will be fine.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

Meat temp rising fast-already to 91. Odder is dome temp showing 345 while grid probe shows 252. Almost 100 degrees difference?

You have a decent sized hunk of cold meat on the grate. The temps should get closer over time. The only way this goes bad is if you let the dome temp go up and get away from you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Here are my facts right now-it's been on two hours, just put some cold tap water in the drip pan and the temp difference between dome & grid is getting slightly larger. I'm not golfing today, so I'm here to watch everything. Meat temp is rising more gradually now. I suppose at worst I'm doing it more turbo than I intended. On the plus side, I think I know why my ribs attempts weren't as tender as I had hoped, because I kept my dome temp around 265 for those.
  • Butt temp is 131 and I've backed down the heat-about 300 right now on the dome shows 207 on the grid. I have the grid probe in the clip, which is nestled into the grid as designed-that holding cause any temp oddities, right?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Remember your going to hit the stall...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Yep-not there yet but slowing down. I'm still baffled by the temp differences.
  • lousubcap

I'm a firm believer in the following "believe your indications unless you know it/them to be suspect".  So, you have to assess the temp readings and then work with that information-if you believe both then you have a substantial gradient in the BGE (not unheard of but not the norm either).  All that said, the butt has a tremendous margin for us to attempt to hose it up and still get it right.

Best finish indicator for me is when the bone will pull clean.  Enjoy the journey!

• Thanks @lousubcap - I'll keep the bone test as my ultimate guide. After bumping the heat down a little too far, I've bumped it back up again and now the dome & grid temps are closer than they've been so far - 265 dome 214 grid. The meat probe temp does suggest a stall-staying @ 140 for about 45 minutes now. Just adding to the excitement is that my thermapen shows about 12-15 degrees higher than the probe. So I'll keep watching and use the bone as the guide.
  • One thing I'm finding as I mess with the openings to move the temp up and down is that the grate temp changes quickly when the daisy wheel top level is open (the almond openings, not the full opening) as opposed to nearly closed. It's not just that it gets a higher reading when open, but it jumps quickly. Just opened it and bumped the bottom vent about a quarter inch and got a 45 degree grate temp jump in less than 5 minutes.
  • Well, I'd say I'm at the stall-it's moved only 3 degrees in 2 hours. I'm in no hurry, but is there a general time frame for a stall? Should I expect another?
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2013

WRT the stall-it can run for 2 to 5 or 6 hours depending on the pig-and is there a second stall-perhaps....again depends on the pig-I have seen a butt take 3-4 hours to move 5 degrees when in the high 180's to low 190's but that is a minority. 

Vent movement-A quarter inch on the lower vent is a big time move-general guidance, major temp changes-lower vent, minor use DFMT.  I usually use the lower vent but move it around 1/16" at a time when dialing it in.  Again, all a matter of feel and preference.  A great learning cook-have a few adult beverages and relax!

• Dragonwmatches
    Dragonwmatches Posts: 221
    edited July 2013
    Ok, it got past the first stall to 158 but it wasn't moving so I opened it up just a bit to up the heat, with no effect. So I got concerned about fuel, put the butt on my favorite food tray and yanked the grill and PS-sure enough, running way low. So I added some lump and a couple of the smaller hickory chunks in my bag, opened the egg and got it lit back up in full. Everything is back in place now and the Egg is up to a slightly higher temp than before, but the butt has dropped a couple degrees. I can't imagine its a problem, just made it more exciting suddenly and might take a little longer than I figured. Gonna stabilize around 275-300 and see how it goes from there.
  • lousubcap
     Here's to a great finish-gotta love the journey and enjoy the effort.  It should be worth it-BTW-your finish temp is fine!  Have a great banquet!
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Just remember that the first time you ever do anything it's always more work and takes longer then it should, but in this case it is so worth it! The end product will be amazing and taste great, for two reasons.1. Of course because of the egg and 2. Because you did it all yourself. The next one you do you will be better at it and it will be just as good if not better. Next week you will be taking all if your lessons learned and teaching the next group. Good luck but it will be good!
  • Just posted my first one, too! Congrats...
  • 13 hours and much drama later, here it is. Bone comes clean on top, bark is crisp. Meat probe showed 192 IT @ last look, while Thermapen showed 206 in the probe hole and 212-216 in other spots. Grid probe showed 50 degrees under stock dome therm when I opened it the last time. Gonna wait a little while with foil over it to cool, then shred!