Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or XL

Trying to decide between large and XL.  Don't really "need" the XL.  However, the cooking grate on the large seems to sit a bit lower, coupled with the smaller diameter- it wouldn't seem as handy for flippin burgers etc as the XL.  One dealer suggested putting the half fire ring on top of the regular fire ring to raise the grate a couple of inches.  Has anyone tried this?  Realize that the temp at the grate would be a bit lower.  Realize the shape, etc of the BGE is engineered for best performance..just wondering.

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Tough call......and maybe some of it depends on for how many you will normally be cooking for too.  I've had my large for about a year and have a family of five, and I've done multiple cooks for large groups of extended family, and the large has been plenty big enough.  I also bought the adjustable two-tier swing rack from Ceramic Grillworks which gives me an extra 15" diameter worth of cooking space when needed for sides or veggies, large groups of burgers or chicken breasts or even doing a couple butts or briskets at the same time.

Personally I've not had any complaint or problem with the depth of the grate, but as mentioned that can be remedied in any number of ways if need be.  The one advantage you mentioned was just the ease of maneuvering your grub (the flipping burgers reference) which would be easier on the XL.

A year later, I'm happy with the purchase of the large and would do it again.....just wasn't worth the extra expense for me anyway.  However if you have doubts, probably better to bite the bullet and go with the XL....or you could always add a mini or small later too.  Lots of options for sure.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Had the same problem when I bought. I went with the large and was more than happy. I have since bought a medium and use that more than the large.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    XL!! Have never once thought... dang I sure wish I had less rom
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Not a tough call at all, except for cost concern go for the biggest one you can get.  You get all sorts of versatility and you don't use any more lump than you would load for any other size.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I have an XL, Large and Medium. I love em all but the one that gets cooked on the most is the large. The XL is great for parties and such but for everyday stuff the go to is the large.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I had 3 larges for a while and recently I got an XL never thought I'll say this but why on earth didn't I get the XL long time ago? Yes it warms up slower and it has more hotspots, yes it takes a full bag of charcoal and it's harder to open the lid but the size convenience makes up for all those and more. You just don't need to get creative with placing things, cut handles and several levels crap.

• VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    Plenty of cheap ways to raise the grid on a large.  Lots of good expensive ways, too.

Large vs. XL, either one is great.  I've got a large and will admit it would have been nice a time or two to have more real estate on the grill.  More frequently however, I've wished I had a couple eggs to cook things at different temps easier.

I see myself getting an XL down the road.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    misu said:
    I had 3 larges for a while and recently I got an XL never thought I'll say this but why on earth didn't I get the XL long time ago? Yes it warms up slower and it has more hotspots, yes it takes a full bag of charcoal and it's harder to open the lid but the size convenience makes up for all those and more. You just don't need to get creative with placing things, cut handles and several levels crap.

Only takes a (actually only third) bag if you are using the whole grid.  More often than not I just pile some in the back and have direct and indirect at the same time.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I have both and would suggest you start with the Large unless you have a very large family or just need the extra space of the XL ...They both work great

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Had a large for a year and no regrets. Like others said I always has more need to cook at diff temps than grill space.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I started with a large 3 years ago, after looking at both the large and XL.  Quite happy with the large.  The only change I have made, is to add a mini last fall. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    I have the XL just cook for me and the wife and plenty of extras to bring to work and show off. Don't think you can go wrong with the XL. I do small cooks all the time fire up and close it up never add more lump and just keep using until doing along cook and add more very efficient. And you can never have to mush room. Just my 2 cents.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Get the xl. Had the large for four years. Got the xl this week and love it. I missed the way my weber kettle cooks. Having indirect and direct at the same time without putting in rigs and stones and what not is awesome.

I am sure you would love a large too, but I am an xl fan. I haven't used my large in a very long time. Xl and medium are my go to eggs.
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    I think every one has the same debate! I ended up getting a large and I haven't ever caught myself saying I wish I went with the XL. The large is plenty big to do a couple pork butts and a 12+ pound brisket. I think you will find that people would prefer to get a couple eggs rather than an XL. (Maybe I am wrong) Don't worry about the height of the grate either. You can get something from the ceramic grill store to raise or lower the grate. Hope that helps.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have a large with a woo3 and a homemade raised grid to really get high in the dome and to have 2 levels to cook on. We do a lot of entertaining and I very rarely need more room but I do want to add a small so I can do my sides and or just yo use when I cook for the 2 of us.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Since I only have the LBGE I can't truly provide measurable data for your decision. That said, the large with the second level option (how you get there has many options) will take care of your cooking needs.  I am planning to add a small to the arsenal for the option of low&slow plus hot &fast at the same time.  I think that two BGE's gives you a cooking flexibility that would be difficult to replicate on the XL-but not having the XL I could be wrong.  And yes it may be a few more $$ upfront for the two...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mt332
    mt332 Posts: 13
    Really appreciate all the info.  Might go with XL.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    The couple of eggs vs an xl is a silly argument.

The XL isn't nearly expensive enough to get a large and even a small for the same cost. Not even close once you get accessories.

And it's not like you can't get a 2nd egg with an XL.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mattman3969
    @Thatgrimguy - I really don't think that my or @lousubcap suggestion were really argumentative and certainly not silly but more so just opinions of 2 guys that have different thoughts than yours. No harm no foul with opinions.

Cheers

analyze adapt overcome

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Mattman3969-thanks for rolling in.  And I agree with your above comment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    No prob!!

analyze adapt overcome

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

If cost isn't an issue, the XL is amazingly versitile - direct and indirect at the same time - lots of room for big parties - really doesn't use much more lump than a large - only light under the area you plan to use.  I got my first one in March of 2012 and  the second one in June of the same year.  It was actually cheaper to get another XL instead of a large because I could share eggcessories.  I use at least one every night and both about twice per week. When I first started, I was only cooking for the two of us - now about 2 nights per week I'm cooking for friends and neighbors.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Not a tough call at all, except for cost concern go for the biggest one you can get.  You get all sorts of versatility and you don't use any more lump than you would load for any other size.
    True if you only cook direct. 
    I bought the xl and have never looked back. I have family with the large And I was convinced that the xl is the way to go. I cook for my wife and young son and I have cooked for medium and small and large groups too. u have never once said to myself that I wish it was smaller. Its up to you.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I have a large and a small, it's just the wife and I.  But when we have the family get togethers and such I am asked to fire up the egg.  Wished I would have bought the XL looking back.  It will be my next egg I buy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mattman3969
    @Dave in Florida - I am in the spot to buy a small and I am curious as to what your thoughts are in detail a to the large and small combo versus the XL are.

Not being a smartarse by any means just looking for info to make the right decision

analyze adapt overcome

• Large has more Eggsessories and options but you can't go wrong with either one. I started with 1 large and then added a 2nd. Then I sold a 1 large and got an XL. I love them all.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I bought the xl and have never looked back. I have family with the large And I was convinced that the xl is the way to go. I cook for my wife and young son and I have cooked for medium and small and large groups too. u have never once said to myself that I wish it was smaller. Its up to you.

With the exception of John Holmes, I don't think any man has had the thought "I wish it was smaller".
  • notsure
    notsure Posts: 7
    XL love mine and the wife would not let me buy the large. she is always right

XLBGE If I am not smoking I am working

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    notsure said:

XL love mine and the wife would not let me buy the large. she is always right

You are a very smart man.