Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First crack at scallops

Trying this recipe tonight:  http://food52.com/recipes/4080-seared-scallops-with-spring-onion-and-tarragon-cream

Going to do the scallops on the Egg (and asparagus for a side).  Scallops are dry, sea, 10/20 size.  I figured Egg at 400*, raised direct (flat side of CI grate) for a good sear on each side should do it (I can start the asparagus earlier and cook the scallops toward the end of the asparagus cook).

Any idea how long I should sear 'em per side?  Obviously, I know to monitor the color and pull early rather than late, but any estimates so that I can have a rough idea?  One minute a side?  Ninety seconds?  Should I adjust the temp upward or downward from my initial thought of 400*?

I'll post pics later tonight.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I do mine on a very hot half moon griddle for about 30 seconds a side, but would guess between 1 and 2 minutes a side at that temp.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Usually you use some oil in the pan so the scallops release better.  You don't want to heat oil past the smoke point, it starts breaking down and tasting terrible (and it will probably erupt into flame). 

The oil smoke point can be looked up here (as a general guideline). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

Translating this into a cooking technique, when the oil starts smoking, throw the scallops on.  You want to cook them until the center is just starting to turn opaque.  Depends on the size of the scallop, but usually 90 seconds a side.

It's easier to control the temp of a pan on the stove - 3 minutes in the egg and you're not going to pick up much flavor from the charcoal or smoke.  But it might be fun.  You can also grill them.  Hope that helps.
    I wouldn't even worry about the time; just watch them and keep checking underneath.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• We ended up doing them inside for a number of reasons, but I promised pictures.  We decided to have a plate-off, so one of these is my wife's plate, and one is mine.  We also took our own pictures.  Feel free to opine on which is better.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Top one is better.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Bottom one is more religious so it gets my vote! Both plates look awesome though!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bottom one looks like "X marks the spot" where I'm going to plant my chomping maw and eat right through the plate.  Plus it has some toasted bread.  So I guess I'll go for that one, but not because I want to eat around....ah, never mind that thought.