Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef Eggrolls and something else...

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Once again, Mrs. G is out of town, so time to experiment with food. We've seen @Dyal_SC and @NibbleMeThis and many others do eggrolls using pulled pork before. Not quite a new idea, but something new for me. I've had problems finding the wrappers before in the store when I looked, and then I'd forget and it would slip off my radar. Found some the other day and I knew it was time to give them a go, but I decided to use some pulled beef I had sitting in the freezer instead.

Sauteed some onions, carrots, and cabbage and then tossed in the beef along with some of Aaron Franklin's Texas Style BBQ Sauce.

Then I proceeded to wrap my eggrolls. I won't bother with a picture of that. Suffice it to say, I need some practice. They weren't all pretty. Then I fried them up for a few minutes at 350F until they looked done enough for me.

They came out really tasty. Good beef flavor with a nice smoke. It wasn't really a winner in my book, however, but that was my fault. I don't think I had enough veggies in it. Way too much beef to veggie ratio as you can see in the following pic. But it was fun to play around, just need to tweak it till I get it right. Still got some pulled pork in the freezer that I'll probably pull out this weekend and work on it.

On to the "Something else". I finally got around to brewing my first batch of beer last night!! Something I've wanted to do ever since I was in college a hundred years ago (ok, ok...more like 15 years ago). My first attempt is a Blue Moon type Belgian wheat ale. Figured that's Mrs. G's favorite beer, so when she gets home and finds out what I did she might be less mad. We'll see how that works. BTW, if I don't check in on Monday, somebody come check on me. ;) Got my wort brewing with some sweet orange peel and coriander in that bag floating around, hopefully that will get me the flavor profile I'm looking for.

According to the hydrometer, it has a potential alcohol by volume (ABV) of around 6%. Sounds good to me. Original specific gravity was 1.0048, I think. I might have messed that up because I didn't take a temperature before I tested it, so if anything it is probably higher.

There she'll sit for the next 3 or 4 weeks doing here thing. Be warned future house guests, you are going to have to shower in the back yard with a hose. Ok...we'll move it or let you use our shower. :))

Fingers crossed, I hope it turns out. I've already thinking about the next batch. Think I might go with a cerveza seeing as we are still gonna have many 100+ days that will be perfect for sitting by the pool sipping on a cold one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    @Griffin, it seems like you must have accidentally hit the "Post Comment" button before you finished your post.  The part about "So, you are all invited to my house in 4 weeks for eggrolls and fresh homebrewed beer" seems to have been left out.  Please rectify that.  Thanks in advance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Agree with @Foghorn. You can't throw out a post like this and then not invite us.... How rude?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Options
    I remember an elementary teacher telling us not to share unless we had enough for the whole class and this is one big class. Now if somebody happens to drop by before I drink them all (provided they are drinkable) I would be more than happy to share. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• Foghorn
    Options

I'm very curious to see what you think of the beer.  I have a friend who is into grilling/smoking the way we all are because he can make stuff that is better than he can get at restaurants - but he says that his experiences with homebrewed beer have been the opposite.  He put a lot of time and effort into brewing 4 batches of beer at one point and ended up pouring all of them down the sink as they weren't drinkable - so he gets his beer from the store and enjoys it... and sometimes bases his vacation on beer festivals.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    My buddies and I rigged up some gear and made some homemade wine in our dorm in college. This $hit was so potent--- 1 glass and you were seeing sideways. We would get out of class and people would be in our room hitting the wine....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Yeah, what Foghorn and Chubbs said, date and time please.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Options

GRIFFIN IS HAVING A PARTY!! EVERYONE IS INVITED!!  WOOHOO!!

We actually used to do that in my younger years (think college kids working for the summer).  We would call up a work colleague who had the night off (we worked til midnight) and "ask for directions and/or what we could bring to his party".  Depending on whether or not the person was at home and how much resistance we got we would then decide if we wanted to go through with actually telling everybody there was a party after work.  Most of us were pretty good-natured and would just throw a party on short notice.  They did it to me a couple of times. 

NOW IT'S GRIFFIN'S TURN!! WOOHOO!!

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Options
    Sure...I'll have a party. How does November 2nd sound? Say in Plano at the VFW? Everybody bring their own Egg, but its really @Hornhonk party. That, or how about one in March? Say Salado around St. Patty's day?

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    edited July 2013
    Options

nm 

Rowlett, Texas

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Good luck on the home brew. I've made several batches myself. Actually have some in the fridge now.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I saw your tweet about this and am happy to see you pass on the goods.  Great work
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks outstanding @Griffin!  I loooove pulled pork eggrolls.  Never thought about pulled beef eggrolls!  That sounds and looks right up my alley!  :D  Can't wait to try them at that party of yours everyone is talking about!  ;)