Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eggers beer traders? - also brisket? where?!

anyone on here super into local/craft/micro what.have.you beers and trading? i'm in philadelphia and have some trade partners in california, colorado, and oregon. looking for some wisconsin (new glarus, WHAT!?), vermont, and texas (jester king!) or anyone else interested in beers from the philly area.

We probably get some of the best selection in the country and get some stuff that almost nowhere else on the east coast gets (russian river & deschutes, probably some others), so i'm glad to run errands for anyone who would return the favor!

also - i cant find full packer brisket anywhere! is it even worth smoking a flat?  i have no idea where to go. the sam's ive been to doesnt have it and neither does bj's. none of the butchers seem to want to help out, and i really don't want to experiment with a $100 brisket from la frieda or creekstone. 

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'm about an hour from Santa Rosa, and I'm interested - I have traded with my buddy back east. put me on a in the future list.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited July 2013

Brisket flats-it's all I can get unless I pay way too many $$.   So, jump in and give it a go.  Even the worst ones  when chopped up and mixed with some Q sauce make great sandwiches.  And every so often you hit the triple or home-run and that just brings you back for more.  I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of the cook.  There  is the conventional low&slow and search a thread titled "travis method-how I do it" to get a braise technique, although written for a packer works with a flat.  Should you decide to take the plunge, plenty of advice here.

BTW-welcome aboard-it's a game-changer!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Have you checked Walmart for brisket? My local store sells packers. Usually just select grade, but last week they had choice for about $2.50/lb. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area.
  • pacobox
    pacobox Posts: 8
    @bys1981 - cool hopefully more people will be into it and i'll set up some kinda list.

@lousubcap - yeah i think i'll bite the bullet and just try a flat. chopped brisket sandwiches sound pretty good.

@kevinhville - ive been to one wal mart and no luck. will check others when i'm nearby.

thanks for the info/replies so far!
  • Two_Down
    Two_Down Posts: 74
    I am in Texas (Houston) and have access to Jester King and some other notable Texas beers and would be very, very happy to get a trading partner in Philly.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @pacobox, I'm in Wisconsin for one more day. Been a great vacation and I've enjoyed every sip of fine New Glarus brews. Amazing state, amazing brewery. 

Normally SoCal is home, so we know a thing or two about micro brewing as well. Ever had anything from Alesmith? Best brewery in San Diego in my opinion. 

Hit me up if you want to arrange a trade, sounds interesting.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yep. We get Alesmith in Cincinnati and I can vouch for its goodness.

If there's anybody up in the northeast (Vermont), I'd be interested in a trade for some Heady Topper.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    I am in western WA, Seattle area, and am always down for trading beer. 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • Two_Down
    Paco - were there any specific brews you were looking for from JK?  I have quite a few at home, I can post when I get off work today.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Texas here, I'd be interested in trading. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Talk to some butchers - you should be able to get a packer with a little work. 

Flats - to me, not worth cooking unless (and this is really good) you corn them and make pastrami.  Takes about 3 days to a week to corn, then pepper/coriander rub, then smoke to 180-190 (yep, less than a regular brisket).
    Beer Heaven on S Columbia in Philly is a great store.
  • pacobox
    sorry work's getting crazy but not forgetting about this!  thanks for all the brisket tips everyone. maybe i'll try some pastrami. i love pastrami and completely forgot that was an option.

and yes, i'm totally down for trades. i guess i've fallen into the sour beer trap right now and love most well done sour/fruit beers. i still love good IPA's (my favorite being surly furious) and DIPA's and russian imperials and all the high-rated beers, but the sours are for me right now.

also - i keep forgetting not too many places can get allagash. so that's another option i can get if anybody wants to trade with me. their curieux is AMAZING.

@two_down RE: jester king, i've had das uberkind, el cedro, petit, and i have a bottle of RU-55, but i'd love to try the boxer's revenge, funk metal, any of the rodeos, the wunderkind, or the crazy new raspberry one! ha!
  • D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47

How does your trading work?  I live next door to Wisconsin.  I can get Surley down the street, and I think there's a place in Hudson (will be there tonight) that sells New Glarus.  Never done that sort of thing and shipping costs might kill the idea for me.  More curious than anything else at this point.  Do you use another site to make partners and deals?

• YEMTrey
    It would be awesome to combine an Eggfest with a Beerfest!

Hang out, cook on the Eggs and share beers!

I'm just another idea guy though.
    Steve 

• pacobox
    @D_Train - i have friends in other cities and have met some people while visiting other cities for trades. usually starts slow like 2 or 3 bottles of nothing toooooooooo special until there is trust. shipping via slow UPS isn't too bad. no cases or anything .just a few bottles/cans at a time. 

@YEMTrey i need to visit michigan for beers at some point. went to penn state for grad school though so i'd be entering non-friendly territory. always wanted to see ann arbor though!
  • Just my two cents, get your low and slow technique down and then spend the money on a good packer. The quality of meat for your briskey makes all the difference in the world. Buy a good one and pay more than you should, ask on here for help, and you will almost certainly get a fantastic finished product. There are some brilliant folks on here with an unbelievable amount of experience on the subject.

And Deschutes is some pretty freaking awesome suds! I had that when I visited Portland.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    If you're looking for other Midwest beers (I can't remember what Philly gets) let me know. 3 Floyds, Founders, Bells, Dark Horse, plus all the Chicago locals (Two Brothers, Pipeworks, 18th Street, Half Acre, etc.) are all pretty easy for me to get. With AB-InBev taking over the regular Goose Island stuff, we even get more Bourbon County around. (I think I got 8! bottles last year.) Anyway, I usually get most of the Midwest special stuff too, so just send me a PM with what you're looking for.  Cheers!
    --------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

• jjsupafly
    jjsupafly Posts: 8
    Hey Pacobox, I'm in MN and am always looking for new trading partners with access to cool stuff we can't get here.  Our beer scene has really exploded over the past couple of years and we have some really quality beers being produced here (Surly (BTW, if you like Furious you need to try Abrasive when it comes out later in the year....probably my favorite beer of all time), Fulton, Indeed, Town Hall, just to name a few).  We also have access to most of the other midwest breweries you might not be able to get on the E Coast.  Let me know if you want to set something up and if there is anything in particular you are looking for.

Cheers,

Brisket Is My Spirit Animal
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I am in Wisconsin and can get the New Glarus and would be interested in trading. Wisconsin also has many other local brews that are also very good! 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm in... Set it up. Middle Tennessee has several good brews. Calfkiller is the best but only comes draft. Mayday is good...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Two_Down
    @pacobox - I have a bunch of those.  Shoot me your address and we can get this kicked off.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    Central texas guy here who loves craft beer and even brew some of my own. Would love to share pretty much have access to any local brew as I am close to Austin and actually went to school with the guys that own karbach in Houston.
  • dewalt1
    dewalt1 Posts: 8
    Im in GA and have plenty of SweetWater. Ive got some of their Happy Ending and Festive Ale stockpiled. And all the 420 one could drink.
  • Two_Down
    Just wanted to bump this for @pacobox in the event he still wanted to do some trading.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    I just moved down from VT to NY, but still go up to VT quite a bit and could trade some VT brew or if there are any things in NY that you can't get.  Would love to get my hands on some Russian River.  I have a fridge full of Heady Topper right now and a case of Switchback Ale and Switchback Roasted Red. 
  • YEMTrey
    I would be down for some fresh Heady Topper. 

The only Russian River beers I have are the sours though.  Consecration, Temptation, Supplication, Sanctification, and Beatification.  Might still have a Redemption as well.

Maybe work something out.
    Steve 

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I'd love to get into a beer trade with someone.  I live in SoCal so I have access to a TON of craft brews I also brew my own beer (probably not as good) so if anyone is interested let me know.  Only problem with a lot of them is they'll only fill growlers so I'd have to rebottle for you and it may lose a little carb.   
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    YEMTrey said:

I would be down for some fresh Heady Topper. 

The only Russian River beers I have are the sours though.  Consecration, Temptation, Supplication, Sanctification, and Beatification.  Might still have a Redemption as well.

Maybe work something out.

Must have been christian brewers with those names
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN