Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moink Balls, Pig shots, Sea Turtle Eggs kinda weekend

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum

So I am going to be making these this weekend and have looked at a few variations of each. I know what flavors I want to use.

My question is Do you have to use frozen meatballs for the Moinks?My meatballs taste better than any store bought ones. All the recipes call for frozen meatballs. Why can you just make meatballs. That being said should they be precooked like the frozen ones, or can they go on the EGG raw with the bacon around them?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I believe as long as the meatballs you make are all beef it would still qualify as a MOINKball. 

@Griffin has a write up on his blog:

I would think it should be fine to wrap them raw.  The amount of time it will take to crisp up the bacon should be plenty of time to get the beef cooked. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    I believe as long as the meatballs you make are all beef it would still qualify as a MOINKball. 

@Griffin has a write up on his blog:

I would think it should be fine to wrap them raw.  The amount of time it will take to crisp up the bacon should be plenty of time to get the beef cooked. 

I was thinking possibly that the meatball would shrink down and the bacon may not shrink at  the same rate and have a sloppy looking Moink. Most of the pics of them have the bacon kind of shrink wrapped look to them.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Larry Gaian (the guy credited with them) said the whole pre-made thing and all the rules are kinda tongue in cheek. You can make your own meatballs. I've never done it (someday I will), so no idea how they would turn out and whether they should be pre-cooked or partially cooked or whatever.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have seen folks cook homemade meatballs (approx 1/2 oz each) without precooking them. Could turn out just fine as the pre cooked ones tend to be pretty overcooked by the time the bacon crisps up. Admittedly, I have not tried homemade meatballs to confirm this but I recall @CANMAN1976 was going to cook some with homemade meatballs and perhaps can chime in on how they came out. The frozen "requirement" is because the guy credited with publishing the first MOINK recipe used frozen meatballs and then declared it could only be a MOINK if frozen all beef meatballs were used. He later amended the "rule" to allow for homemade meatballs in recognition of foreign countries that didn't sell frozen meatballs. A little history on the whole MOINK story can be found here: http://www.wikquepedia.com/doku.php?id=moink_balls
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • hondabbq

I am going to give them a shot this weekend with homemade meatballs. I will even go so far as to precook some of the meatballs to make a more traditional MOINK, and also from the raw form.

Hey, How bad can they turn out. They all go to the same place. If they don't look pretty I can hide them in a bun.MMMMMMMMMMM MOINK subs!!!!!!!!!!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Hmmm....I found some pre-made meatballs in my freezer the other day. Think I might bust some out, too.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Richard Fl Posts: 7,210
    Beef, Moink Balls, Rick Tropical Delight

From trp1fox in rocklin, ca, i give you moinkballs! thawed frozen meatball wrapped in bacon and dusted with dry rub then smoked till the bacon is done to your liking then dunked in thinned bbq sauce then smoked some more to set the sauce then served in a bed of the sauce.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=545600&catid=1

INGREDIENTS:

NOTE:
    1 To be a true moinkball, it has to be an all beef italian meatball, similar to what you can get at sam's. i used dizzy pig jamaican firewalk on these and smoked them with jack daniels oak barrel chips and used jack daniels original bbq sauce thinned with water.
    2 Please note if you do not use premade frozen italian meatballs such as from sam's, then you are not making MOINK balls, you are making bacon wrapped meatballs.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Beef, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Rick's Tropical Delight, 2008/11/22

2008/12/05--Fidel--moo + oink; (cow) + (pig) ; (beef) + (pork) Rod F. Buford, GA

2009/11/28--Fidel-- They are made from ALL BEEF meatballs, wrapped in pork bacon.

From the "other forum":

OFFICIAL MOINK Ball Rules:

IMPORTANT RULE CHANGE:

After careful consideration by the Governing Board of IMBAS the following rule change as been adopted, effective immediately.

1. MOINK Balls will be made with ALL BEEF meatballs, wrapped in PORK bacon. Seasonings, sauces and glazes are encouraged but not mandatory. In the past MOINK Balls were only made with pre-made, store bought meatballs. Due to the international appeal of MOINK Balls and the lack of availability, in some localities, of store bought pre-made meatballs, HOMEMADE meatballs will now be acceptable provided the meatballs are made with no other meat other than BEEF. The standard binding agents are approved. Keep in mind the beauty of MOINK Balls is simplicity. Don't get too fancy on the binders/fillers. (This rule change will forever be known as the NOSKOS Rule)

2. MOINK Balls must be cooked out of doors using a wood or charcoal fire. Balls cooked indoors or using a fuel source other than wood or charcoal can not be considered for certification. It is important to note that pellets that are made of wood are acceptable as a fuel source for MOINK Balls.

3. The use of the term MOINK Balls requires the proper capitalization. Failure to capitalize MOINK Ball will result in your application being denied.
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Fun fact. No matter how long you fry a sea turtle egg, the white will not harden.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hondabbq
    Couldn't find anything like the jimmy dean sausage thing so the turtle eggs are out. Here are the MOINKS and the Pig Shots. The Pig Shots turned it much larger than some of the ones I have seen. Guess I had a large Kubi. Like I haven't heard that before. Lol.
    Taking them off I about an hour or so.
  • hondabbq
    Forgot to take a pic before pulling if the heat. Here they are sauces and ready to go. SWMBO wrapped the complett around in bacon. Not just one strip. Appetizer for the Pig Shots.
  • hondabbq
    Shots are off. I think mine are too big. Are these intended as a 1 or 2 bite appy? I need a knife and fork for mine.