Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your favorite "fast" cooks?

What are your favorite "fast" cooks? I'm talking an hour and a half or less of prep and cook time. Spatchcock chicken or salmon is our usual go-to under these time constraints. What are some other recommendations you have?

------------
Beers & BBQ

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Burgers, steaks, green lightning shrimp, fish, seafood, chargrilled oysters. Even known to throw on a hot dog from time to time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Whoops...ignore those shrimp. Forgot about marinating time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I usually spatch a chicken every Sunday for use in meals during the week. I like brats, steaks, fish, fajitas, baked spaghetti, shrimp, etc. All done in under the timeframe.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2013
    Spatchcock chicken, thick center cut pork chops, burgers, salmon, steaks and Chicken Wings for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2013
    Chicken on a stick. Chicken breast can be cooked whole but it somehow seems to get more flavour cut up and put on a skewer. So versatile, can be flavoured with just about anything, Greek to make it souvlaki (better if marinated 30-60 minutes), whatever rub you have too much of or want to try or just salt and pepper. Cooked direct at 400, takes only minutes and the lump smoke adds just the right touch of colour and taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Johnsonville ORIGINAL brats (not the beer brats or the stadium brats)

Burgers

Cedar Plank Salmon

Kielbasa

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    I am liking the idea of brats or thick cut pork chops. Any solid recipes for those or just marinade and grill?
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    seeing i like to marinate some things well in advance like in days ahead, chicken thighs, beef for bulgogi, cubed pork butt etc, most cooks are relatively fast. even ribs and butts are fast considering im lighting and cooking and gone for the day and its ready when i get home. im lucky to live 3 miles from work, i can light an egg before work, come home at lunch and eat while tossing the ribs on, come back from work at days end and eat ribs which is 5 minutes to clean and light egg, a half hour to go home prep ribs and toss on prelit grill, make a sandwich and go back to work, come home and eat, thats 5 minutes for the egg, 5 min prep and done. ill be up at camp tonight, light the egg before bed, and and ribs go on tomorrow and cook while i fish
    :D:))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Ahi Tuna, pizza, steak.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited July 2013
    WalrusBBQ said:
    I am liking the idea of brats or thick cut pork chops. Any solid recipes for those or just marinade and grill?

For brats I just throw them on the grill at some temperature that is not above about 350. It's the easiest cook I do. I haven't found that boiling or simmering in beer +/- onions really makes a great brat better. 

For pork chops I season with whatever is in my rub cabinet that sounds good then throw them on the grill.  However, I know there are some folks here that have special marinades, rubs, and sauces that can take it to the next level when you want to put in a little extra effort. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    some of my go to fast cooks would include burgers, digs, brats, steak, flap steak (asada style, really thin and great for tacos), chicken- whether that's spatch, boneless beats, thighs, etc, and last night I did a steak tips recipe my wife found in cooks illustrated that was great. I'll post the recipe when I get home.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935

Spatch Chicken, Turbo Ribs, Flank Steak.

My thought is anything under 4 hours start to finish is fast. Not a big fan of burgers since we got the egg, too simple when I can make a whole chicken or something.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Pork tenderloin is another easy n fast cook. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bcran
    bcran Posts: 37

Brats.  We really like the Johnsonville Beer Brats.  

Simmer on the stove with butter, beer and onion until hot...but I've left them for up to an hour.  Throw on the grate to crisp them up and eat.  Lots of sauerkraut and hot mustard!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Seared tuna... whatever time it takes to get the egg going and then 2 minutes to cook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Pork Tenderloin with Montreal Seasoning.  Salmon with John Henry's Pecan Rub.  Boneless Chicken Breasts with Lemon Pepper or Pecan Rub.  Grilled veggies on the side.  Simple, fast, good. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Definitely burgers and steaks (usually sirloin or filet) and sometimes some shrimp.  I did some surf and turf of filets and grilled shrimp for the wife for Mother's Day which was quick and easy and turned out fantastic. 

I want to say boneless/skinless chicken breasts, but I like to let those marinate for at least 2-3 hours.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• I am a sucker for Texas sausage and I bought some Kiolbassa (http://www.kiolbassa.com/pages/home) out of San Antonio, TX found here in Michigan and it was excellent.  I just grilled it up direct and cut it up for lunch the other weekend.  I added a bit of smoke to add to it but not much was needed.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC