Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loosening Chicken Skin question

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,485
Someone posted a really neat idea/video of doing beer can chicken, with raw chorizo sausage stuffed under the skin of the clucker and also into the neck opening.  I'm not a fan of beer can cooking, but tonight bought a clucker and tube of chorizo, want to try it with a spatchcocked bird this weekend.  
I plan on brining her tomorrow morning, draining tomorrow night and then air-drying in the fridge overnight, and then smoking it Saturday morning.  I've done all these things before, except for air-drying her overnight.
My question is this: when would be the best time to separate the skin from the flesh with my finger?  Before it goes in the brine (might brine better, but ruin the skin?), after draining but before drying overnight (what I guess is the best time), or after its dried in the fridge overnight (would the skin tear easier)?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Before or after brining I think would be fine.  Just because I know it can be done then...never tried that with a dried skin, although I've dried them overnight in the past.