Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Power Outage - Vacuumed Brisket hit 46'F - okay?

Options

We lost power in Toronto for the past 2 1/2 days.  Before we got a generator hooked up the fridges were kept closed but the surface of the vacuum packed brisket hit 46'F.  I'm sure the core temp was still lower. 

Can I wash it off, then trim, and still be okay?

What would you do?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How long was it 46? I think you are totally safe but do what you feel is best for you. If it didn't smell or look funny, I would eat it just the way it is.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    Cook it right away and you should be fine.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes, the pathogen growth rate at 46 would be very slow.

Take a look at the pathogen modelling program at this site. I just looked at 2 models, one for salmonella, and another for staph. The model shows predicted growth at 50F for the salmonalla, and 56F for the staph. If I'm reading the graphs correctly, assuming a low level of contamination, there would be very little hazard for 24 hours, and maybe 100 before the meat would need to be pasteurized to be safe.

The old food safety rule, holding foods for no more that 4 hours between 40 F and 120F is somewhat misleading. 1 hour at 100F will allow about 64 times the growth as 1 hour at 41F.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I'll probably cook it tonight - mid week overnighter!!!

I was thinking that since I'm washing, trimming and then taking the whole thing to 200'F (more or less) anyway it would probably wipe out anything that might have gotten started.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    That was quite a storm we had. We were fortunate not to lose power. Glad your's is back on.

I guess your @BigWader handle is appropriate given some of the localized flooding we had.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

@TexanoftheNorth - west Etobicoke here... flood central I think.  We were lucky with just a trickle in the basement, but neighbours not so lucky.

Being without news (just a radio) sucked.  They kept saying rolling black outs affecting 50,000 and all we were thinking is what about the 1,000's that had no power for 40 hours?  Why wasn't that the lead story in Canada's most populated city.  I was asking family that lives 200 km away to watch the TV news and see if there was better coverage. 

Glad it was cloudy for the first day - it kept the house from really heating up.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @BigWader, I remember the power outage back in 2003. It's amazing how much we take electricity for granted until we're without it!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

@TexanoftheNorth - Me too.  Was a crazy drive home that night.  It helped this time though since my emergency kit has a back up battery pack for the tankless water heater, and now an inverter generator for the fridges/freezers.  By the second night we had hot water, cold fridges, a fan and 1 light so we were getting along okay.

One of my neighbours must own a back up power company - he had a 9.6kW trailer generator in his driveway, full A/C, lights, and I'm sure big screen TV going before sundown on Monday night!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE