Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bawlmer pit beef (bad phone pics, sorry)

Options
Haven't posted for a bit, mostly due to hardware concerns with the Egg.  All is fixed now, though, so it's time to start cookin' again!  I warmed 'er back up with bacon cheeseburgers and grilled corn, but was (1) hungry and (2) drunk, so we didn't take pictures of those. 

We did a "freezer cleanout" of all our frozen leftovers, and while we worked our way through those, I remembered that I had bought and frozen a nice, 2 3/4 lb. bottom round roast.  What's better to do with bottom round than make Bawlmer-style pit beef, you ask?  I answer:  NOTHING, hon.  Nothing is better.

We rubbed the roast with DP Raisin' the Steaks (a personal favorite), which is not the traditional paprika-seasoned salt-based Bawlmer rub, but the taste will still make you feel as good as a trip downy-ocean.  Then applied a reverse sear (set up as CI, PS legs up, reg grid) - indirect around 400*F until the internal read 90*F.  Then removed top grid and PS, kicked the tires, lit the fires (okay, stoked the fires, really), and gave it a good sear on all sides until there was a nice bit of char.  It was not as rare as I might have liked, but it was still tender and flavorful, and the crust was delicious.  We sliced it as thinly as we could manage without a fancy electric slicer, topped it with tiger sauce (1C mayo, 1/2 C prepared horseradish, juice of 1 lemon, heavy pinch of pepper, dash of salt), and served it with sweet potato fries (with house-made curry and sriracha mayos) and mixed steamed veggies.

Now, the terrible phone pics.  Here's the roast getting its char on the Egg:

And here's the plate (this pic is particularly inartfully taken):

'Kay, all you need now is a Natty Boh and the O's on TV!

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Looks wonderful! This is one I have meant to try and haven't yet.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Lookin' mighty fine. What did you put on those fries (sweet potato fries?)? I see you used the top to help it stand up so you ould sear it on all sides. We did something similar to that using a Lodge CI bacon press.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @Griffin:  I should have given credit to you on that idea (I saw it whilst browsing the pit beef posts on the forum), but I had forgotten who had posted it.

They are sweet potato fries (Alexia brand), and we put sriracha and curry mayos on them.  You can either mix sriracha and curry powder with store-bought mayo or make your own mayo, which is way more fun.  I think the proportion we use is roughly 1T:1C of flavoring:mayo, but maybe start at 1t and increase to taste.

Oh, and if you're making your own mayo for the sriracha version, try bacon fat mayo as the base.  Here's a recipe:

1 cup liquid bacon fat

2 egg yolks

Juice of one lemon

1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard

Salt

Pepper

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT BACON FAT.  Using a food processor or immersion blender (immersion blender is preferable), slowly add the liquid bacon fat while blending, until smooth and creamy.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

No worries. I'm sure I picked it up from somebod else as well but can no longer member where.We all pick up ideas here and there. That's what its all about, the sharing of ideas.

Love the sound of those sriracha and curry mayos. Never had a curry mayo before. Thanks for sharing that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks great! Been too long since I've had a good pit beef sandwich. My wife and I may actually be heading to Baltimore in the near future to visit family. May hafta get my fix while I'm up there. :)
    That homemade mayo sounds sinfully delicious! How long do you figure that will that keep in the fridge?
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @Griffin:  curry mayo is my favorite.  Always glad to share.

@Dyal_SC:  Mayo should keep about 5-7 days, but we go through it faster than that.  The recipe I gave is not a whole lot to make at a time, so if you like mayo (and bacon), you'll go through it quickly.

If you want to make curry or sriracha mayo in bulk, so you can store it, I'd recommend just going with Hellman's.  You can use whey to do a kind of lacto-preservation on homemade mayo, supposedly, but I've never done it.

You might want to ask @Eggcelsior for his recommendation of the best place to go in Bawlmer, but I personally like Chaps.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Dyal_SC

Pioneer Pit Beef, Beefalo Bob's and Canopy Pit Beef are all great.

Chaps is my favorite. Can't beat dinner and a show(It's in a strip club parking lot).

Where are you staying? I just gave you Catonsville, Pasadena, Ellicott City and East Bawlmer. There are some up in the Towson area too. Pioneer is basically a shack under 695/70 interchange with no seating. Cash only. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Not sure on the details yet, but the wife's family is in Ellicott City. Thx for the heads up! I'll try and hit up at least one of those. My wife's cousin said she's going to introduce us to the best crab cakes in the USA. :) Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but will shoot you a PM when I find out.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Not sure on the details yet, but the wife's family is in Ellicott City. Thx for the heads up! I'll try and hit up at least one of those. My wife's cousin said she's going to introduce us to the best crab cakes in the USA. :) Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but will shoot you a PM when I find out.

Post here when you find out, most of my coworkers think it is G&M, and while they are fantastic, I'd love to hear other opinions and do some more research.

Also, +1 to Pioneer, that is right by my office and I hit it up at least monthly.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Faidley's, Pappas or Koco's for crab cakes. Me no likey G&M's Southeast Asian imported crab. They are huge cakes though. Orbryckis closed their Fell's Point location but are still going at BWI airport.

For the Baltimore institutions it is always Faidleys and Orbryckis. The yardsticks others are measured by. 

Faidleys is an experience to say the least. Order a crab cake and grab beer and oysters at the raw bar. This is one of those things that 9 people will have 9 different opinions on. I can guarantee one thing. They are all better than anything you get anywhere else in the US. There is a reason restaurants all over offer "Maryland-style" crab cakes.
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    I've only tried the pit beef three times. ~425 direct, dome closed except for frequent turning. I will tell you by that experience, the internal temps rose about 30 degrees after pulling. The first came out med-well. The last came out closer to med. I prefer med rare.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @Eggcelsior and @Acn ... My wife's cousin just messaged me back. She said Kokos in the Hamilton/Lauraville area is her favorite for crab cakes. Can't wait to try them out! :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @dyal_sc your wife's family has good taste. Go Thursday for the crab cake special. Make reservations! Get the cc platter and the steamed shrimp. Booyah! Hopefully they will have Heavy Seas on tap.