Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy babyback rib rub?

Options
Any good store bought or easy recipes for babybacks? I have a lot of bad Byron's butt rub...but guess that doesnt go so well on ribs?

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Garnerville, NY
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

My wife and I refer 50/50 sea salt and course ground black pepper lately.  We also use Famous Dave's Rib rub since they sell it cheep at Menards.  I make Chis Lilly's rub recipe found over on the Virtual Bullet site.  It's another favorite in our house.  If you foil, rubs get washed out in my opinion

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd expect a butt rub to be good for ribs, but perhaps more sweet than necessary. Cetainly, not bad.

Brown sugar, salt & pepper will do. If you have some good paprika add that too. Typical recipes are about 1/3 brown sugar (even white sugar will do), sometimes as much as 1/2. Not as much paprika  (a lot of that flavor, even from good Hungarian hot paprika, seems to bake away), a bit less black pepper, and then salt, at least 1/8 of the total volume. Usually there are small quantities of cayenne. I like to use less paprka, and add some good chili powder. Around here, Mexene brand is easy to find. Or, add garlic powder and oregano to the paprika, which are the additional ingredients in most chili powder mixes.

Beyond those, feel free to add small quantities of any flavor you think might go well on the pork, and with the other flavors. There are pork recipes that use dill, or  caraway, or juniper, but none of those flavors are associated w. 'Q.

• HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Here is Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub from the WVB site

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/3 cup garlic salt
    1/3 cup kosher salt
    1 Tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon black pepper

Another good one

Southern Succor Rub from the WVB site

1/4 cup ground black pepper
    1/4 cup paprika
    1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
    2 Tablespoons table salt
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Wild Willy's Wonderful Rub

3/4 cup paprika 
    1/4 cup ground black pepper 
    1/4 cup salt 
    1/4 cup sugar 
    2 tablespoons chili powder 
    2 tablespoons garlic powder 
    2 tablespoons onion powder 
    2 teaspoons cayenne 
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    bad byrons is good on ribs, its my rub of choice on ribs, pork butt and now brisket because of cen-tex

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Here's what I've used for two racks many times and is really good and simple.

1 1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp. cayenne

1 tbsp. black pepper

1 tbsp. salt

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I like Melissa Cookston's (owner of Memphis BBQ Company, multiple World Championships) recipe. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/baby-back-ribs-recipe/index.html

I know it's not what she uses in competitions but this is a good one for the back yard, IMO. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    Today I did baby backs with only salt and pepper for the rub. Glazed with Bone Suckin Sauce. Turned out great.