Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OO Flour Dough

Options
Ready to try some pizza dough using OO Flour.  Would welcome some recommendations.  I would really like a thinner crust.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I ordered caputo 00 from the Internet- really like it
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    By weight

500 g tipo 00
    325 ml water
    10 g salt
    3 g yeast

mix it up and knead for 5 minutes...let it rise at least 2 hrs. Punch it down and split into balls. Kneed the balls and let proof an hr or so. Keep covered. Make pie.
    Options
    The type of flour you use won't have much affect on how thin the finished crust is. I use unbleached all purpose King Arthur flour for pizza and I can make it thick or thin. I usually make two pizza crusts out of the same batch of dough. A thicker one for the wife and a thin NY style crust for me. With experience you will learn how to get the crust thinner by working with it. BTW I've use 00 flour many times and I like it, but just don't see THAT big of a difference.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    HawkeyeEgghead Posts: 88
    edited July 2013
    Options

I have batch of Cuputo 00 flour dough cold proofing now that is the same recipe as nolaegghead posted. 

Combine everything and 75% for the flour and let hydrated for 20 minutes then I mix on low for 5 minutes while incorporating the remaining flour and increase for 2 minutes.  Then back down to low for the final 2 minutes of mixing 

I have found several of the steps from Jeff Varasanos web page
    (http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm) have helped my latest crust.  The autolyse step and cold proofing in the fridge for a few days has really made a difference.  The recipe a above will yield three 275g dough balls.

Like Duganboy stated the forming of your crust is also part of getting a thin crust.  This is my third batch of OO dough and my observation is the smaller amount of dough and working it really got me to a thinner crust thus far.  Good luck and enjoy the journey.