Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggware vent cap

So now that they've been around a while, how are they holding up??

XLBGE 

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I've used mine twice so far and does great. Beats the old rigged up umbrella I used to use.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    I've got one ordered. It looks like it will arrive tomorrow.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    They are stainless steel and welded together, so I expect they should hold up quite nicely.

The Naked Whiz
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Its great. I like it much better than the daisy wheel/ceramic cap combo. Shutdown may be a tad slower than the DFMT but not by much. It won't fall off when you open the lid, nor do the settings change.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    I love mine.  My daisy wheel kept falling off and the settings always changed
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    I read a post talking about the total gasket failure, make sure to do your research. At the end of the post eggware was looking into another type of gasket.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2013
    Don't like it all that much. Does not shutdown my egg and even when it was closed all the way during a butt cook I was still running a 250+ degree temp when it should have been bringing my temp down ( air leakage)?

Its a looks thing in my book and yeah it will block rain.
    Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    edited July 2013
    I love mine, haven't had it long enough to comment on longevity. But, There is nothing to break, so I'm sure it'll be fine for the long haul. 

I don't use it to shut down though. I take it off with my welding gloves and put the ceramic cap on for that.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mine is great. Shuts down as fast as the rain cap and holds it's spot no matter what. The only downside is that the top gets stuck in my cover when pulling it off - not necessarily the caps fault, but the only negative I have found.
  • Mine is great. Shuts down as fast as the rain cap and holds it's spot no matter what. The only downside is that the top gets stuck in my cover when pulling it off - not necessarily the caps fault, but the only negative I have found.
    Yep, same here.  Worked great today with two 5 hour rib cooks in the constant rain.  There -are- sharp edges on the lip of the top cap, be careful.  Taking care when I remove the cover to keep the top on, other than that no bother, great eggcessory.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    I've cooked four times with mine. It was difficult to keep at 250, but I turned the cap 180 degrees where only one hole got air. I didn't have any problems at that point. Shut down time does seem to take longer, but I haven't noticed my charcoal usage going up.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I love it but I think the shut down time is indeed longer. It will cost more lump wise long term if I keep using that only. I will try removing it and using the rain cap for the shut down but its a tight fit with the gasket they provide so it wont be as easy as before. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • bcran
    bcran Posts: 37

Just got mine last week and did my first cook last night.  

Very nice construction, there is a tab to allow adjustments, but I'm going to figure out a way to  insulate it or coat it so I can adjust by hand, rather than using the ash tool or my tongs.  It gets way to hot to touch.  Thinking a rubber coating like the bottom vent tab.  

Temp adjustment seems a little more difficult.  Had a hard time getting it set at 500 for a pizza, maybe just because it was new to me.  

Seems like it took a lot longer to cool down.

It does catch when you remove the cover, the top half gets pulled off easily.

Overall, its a nice addition and I think once I get used to it, it will work better than switching caps between the ceramic and cast.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Thanks guys.  My new setup is not under a roof, it's out in the open and I need rain protection.  

So some of you guys are having trouble keeping it low?? like 225-250?

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thanks guys.  My new setup is not under a roof, it's out in the open and I need rain protection.  

So some of you guys are having trouble keeping it low?? like 225-250?
    I've had no problem with low temps. I carried my rib roast at 185(grid) for 4 hours. The dome was 205 or something.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I have one and I have NOT had trouble with low temps. Haven't really paid attention to how long it takes to shut down, but I always have plenty of charcoal left over ,just like before.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Can you just take it on and off and use the rain cap?? or does it attach more secure to the egg than sit on?

XLBGE 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    can anybody post a photo of this Eggware vent cap 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I have had no problems with low cooks, but my lowest is about 240 so far.  The gasket material they provide makes the bottom part of the assembly very secure and airtight against the BGE chimney.  So much so that it would be very difficult for me to attempt to remove it after a cook and cover the chimney with the ceramic top.  I think is is very effective at shutting down, and I find it easier to control the heat than with the daisy wheel.  But I am relatively new to the BGE with only a few dozen cooks under my belt so take that into consideration.  I like not having to fuss with the daisy wheel when opening and closing the grill, but I do admit to missing the appearance of the cast iron daisy wheel!  Yesterday it rained all day here, and during that time I cooked 4 racks of ribs in two batches, and I got wet.  The vent cap did a great job.  In the bottom of my grill storage cabinet is a cast iron daisy wheel and a ceramic cap that may never again see the light of day, we'll see.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481

Folks, this is the review I spoke of earlier, I recommend you review.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/eggware/eggwarecap.htm

Good-Luck

LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have noticed it takes a little longer during shutdown but it works pretty good. One thing is it gets HOT (obviously) but I tried to adjust it when I was learning the settings and found out the hard way. 

You can take it off or might not notice much of difference in lump consumption to bother swapping it out after cooks. 

I use my digiQ for low temps and have had zero issues keeping it down. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    bcran said:

Just got mine last week and did my first cook last night.  

Very nice construction, there is a tab to allow adjustments, but I'm going to figure out a way to  insulate it or coat it so I can adjust by hand, rather than using the ash tool or my tongs.  It gets way to hot to touch.  Thinking a rubber coating like the bottom vent tab.  

Temp adjustment seems a little more difficult.  Had a hard time getting it set at 500 for a pizza, maybe just because it was new to me.  

Seems like it took a lot longer to cool down.

It does catch when you remove the cover, the top half gets pulled off easily.

Overall, its a nice addition and I think once I get used to it, it will work better than switching caps between the ceramic and cast.

Never noticed the bottom slider having that black tab. Man, you guys with the new Eggs got it made!!
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Mine works well, but will need a cleaning soon as oils are starting to drip off.
    When you get it the edges are sharp, so just get some 200 grit or higher and carefully sand the sharpness off the edges especially the tab.
    Usually pop the top half off for a few minutes when lighting the egg.
    I also thought it was leaking a little air and went back to the stock setup, but after half a cook couldn't take the trouble and switched back to the eggware what an improvement.

Brampton, Ontario

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I took a loom at it today, I wasn't real impressed. I've competed in 20 to 30mph winds with rain and snow fluries, and never had a problem with moisture getting into the eggs. I've never lost my setting on the daisy wheel either. But my deal handed one to me and asked me to try it and let him know what I think. So I'll try it tonight and a little later this weedk.