Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ambitious Dessert - French Macarons?

Anyone ever try these on the Egg?

I've cooked tons of these since being in Paris for my 10th anniversary but am anxious to try them out on the Egg due to the temperature control...

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Sounds great ! care too share a recipe?
  • I'd love to try macarons on the Egg or the kitchen stove.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Richard, give me a few minutes and I'll dig up "mine", which is from Pierre Herme :)
  • These are tricky little cookies and there are many points at which it can all go wrong; took me more then several attempts to even get close to what I had in Paris!

Mix 150g almond flour with 150g powdered sugar, then set aside.  Most times all you can find is almond meal so I grind it up in the Cuisinart the sift or pass through a tamis.

Make a syrup using 125g sugar with just enough water to make fluid, DON'T overdo it, bring to 118 degrees Celsius.  Mix 25g sugar, 55g room temp egg whites and 1.5g powdered egg to soft peak, then add syrup and bring to stiff peak for an Italian meringue.

Add flour mix, 55g fresh egg whites and any coloring to meringue.  Don't over mix, consistency should be like lava.

Pipe onto parchment paper.  I draw circles on the back side using a 5f coin, which I guess is about the size of a half-dollar.

Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 11 minutes, rotating half-way though.  I bake on an insulated aluminum pan.

After cooled down, I pair up the halves an pipe a ganache to one half then put on the top half and stash in the fridge for a day, better after 24 hours.  You can fill them with just about anything, but I prefer a chocolate ganache but have done white chocolate fruit puree fillings as well.

• That sounds great. I did see a show-Sweet Julia-where she made macarons, and she mentioned that the cookie "dough" needed to have a shine to it.

Don't know that I've heard of powdered egg.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They had to make them on Hell's Kitchen the other day.  Never really thought about them much until then.