Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low temps help ASAP!!

It is almost 2 am I just put a big brisket on my egg. Filled with coals above fill line preparing for a long cook. This is my first cook on egg that will take me past 3-4 hour mark!!

Anyway. I am trying to get 225*. I got temp of egg to about 500 with plate setter in then brought it down and put in my brisket. 250* seems to be my low with still having some openings for air flow. I want to sleep at some point but seems that to get the 225* I want I basically have to close the whole thing off and it makes me nervous.

Any guidance/re-assurance would e great!
- EAT BEEF -

Comments

• tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Also I don't see any glowing from the small opening I have at bottom. Hell, did I kill my fire? I made sure to get it good and hot before I started bringing it down.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Leave a quarter n dime opening on the bottom, 10% sliver (by area) on the top and it shouldn't go out and stay in a viable range.
    Good tip. Thanks. Nola cost me some hefty cash last month by the way.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374

open your vents some to get it back up. have had my fire just about go out and have to get it back. My dome temp is usually around 260 to 270 for my grate to be around 230.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• nolaegghead
    edited July 2013
    Hey, sorry if I did.   I've saved a bundle through these fine folks on the forum.  Over time it's worth it.
    I just opened it back up it dropped to 200 or so. Opened the dome after a few min of being open and could already see hot coals. It's still alive. Just want to get it comfortable and crash!
    - EAT BEEF -
  • tays44

Hey, sorry if I did.   I've saved a bundle through these fine folks on the forum.  Over time it's worth it.

I was referring to the city, not you as a person. Haha. Test tube shots are the devil on a bachelor party!

- EAT BEEF -
  • 250 will be fine if you cant get it down. 225 will have a grid temp of 200 which is very low.
  • tays44
    Ok that makes me feel better gator. I walked away for 20 min while at 225 and came back and was at 200. Not too great of a feeling.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Just open up your bottom vent a lil bit.
  • You are doing what they call "chasing temps"
    Gittin' there...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    Seems like most BGE's have a low temp "sweet spot" somewhere in the 240-260*F range.  As mentioned above, the key is to be stable for a good hour before putting on the meat for the long duration low&slow.  Stable for me means no vent movement.  then when you load it up you will initially see a temp drop but it will come back to the smae temp. It's all about air-flow so once you get that set you are good to go. And you can get into the chasing temperature circle.  +/- 15-20*F doesn't make a whole lot of difference on a many hour cook.  And yes we have all been there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tays44
    I didn't chase too hard. I got meat on there and waited it out until I was comfortable with it staying at 225*. I woke up about 8:30, 7 hours into cook and the egg was at 250* and the brisket temped out to 195*. Kind of sucked because that is about 6 hours before we eat! Oh well, better than being late. I wrapped in foil an a towel and have sitting in a cooler with no ice.

Thanks for the tips. This is why I never cook freakin briskets.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @tays44... you should have enough towels in the cooler to completely fill the empty space; both under and over the brisket. Properly wrapped and toweled should not be a problem at 6 hrs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I know that on my EGG the sweet spot is at 250, it will hold that temp for 24hr if needed.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • tays44
    i have a large bath towel wrapped completely you think thats sufficient?
    @tays44... you should have enough towels in the cooler to completely fill the empty space; both under and over the brisket. Properly wrapped and toweled should not be a problem at 6 hrs.

- EAT BEEF -
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    It sounds to me as if you are not drinking enough. Relax and have fun.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • nolaegghead
    You'll be fine.  Check the temp after 4 hours or so.  If it looks like it'll drop below 140F, put the foil wrapped brisket in the oven on low.  Or put some hot bricks in your cooler and turn it into a cambro.