Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Question

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

Griffin's post about the green light shrimp prompted my thoughts about shrimp pizza - and resulted in this question.

If you were going to do Pizza with shrimp on it - would you precook the shrimp or do you think it would cook enough while the pizza was cooking?

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I just put them on raw. Sometimes, if they are small, I throw them on partway through the cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I precook mine until they are nearly done. My latest was with Alfredo sauce and shaved Parmesan reggiano.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I would think they would cook quick enough on the pizza. Small one might cook too fast
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Depends on what kind of dough you are using. Is it one that cooks at a lower temp for longer, or a higher temp short cook time. I haven't experimented with shrimp on pizza yet, but I know we used pre-cooked shrimp at a pizza joint I worked at in college.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Thank you for the responses - trying some this weekend.
    Cookin in Texas
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

I do shrimp on pizza most every time I make pizza, and I marinate them in olive oil-garlic-crushed red pepper and give them a quick saute just to par cook them a little 

my favorite combo's are shrimp, prosciutto, sundried tomato and shrimp, chicken/apple sausage, sundried tomato.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    just hit them with a torch for a few seconds if they aren't totally done when the pie is.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    The main reason I par cook shrimp is because of the liquid released by the shrimp when they cook. It helps to keep things crisp. I don't like soggy pizza. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GrannyX4 is right - shrimp release a bunch of water when they cook.  Different shrimp release different amounts of liquid....gulf brown shrimp are a good choice for pizza. 

Either way, doesn't take much to cook shrimp..hold 'em up to the sun for a few minutes and they're half way there.