Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grinding burgers

I know this has been discussed but forgive me. I would like to give grinding my own burgers a shot. Is a well marbled chuck roast going to give decent results? And as far as the KA attachment. Will it suffice for pretty much burgers or is that 50 better applied to a standalone? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    edited July 2013
    Can you use the search function using an iPhone?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The KA grinder works fine for burgers.  If you want to get into sausage making, save your money for a piston stuffer.  If you're going to do very large batches, a stand alone grinder is faster.

Chuck and brisket make good burgers.  If you really want a real special juicy burger, replace the beef fat with pork fat - belly fat or some other soft pork fat.
    You can do straight chuck for burgers. I'd toss in some other kind of meat, even if it was just some bacon. Look up the burger lab on serious eats. He's got a breakdown of different cuts and what each one will all fat wise and flavor wise.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And FYI...i'd pass on skirt steak. Not really a good addition to a burger blend. Sounded good when I was at the store, didn't work out so well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited July 2013
    I did chuck with short rib 50/50(choice meat) Super duper awesome. I actually ground the meat in my food processor; it worked really well.
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to trying.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I did chuck with short rib 50/50(choice meat) Super duper awesome. I actually grinded the meat in my food processor; it worked really well.
    Grinded, Ground? Oh, who cares anyway?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I did chuck with short rib 50/50(choice meat) Super duper awesome. I actually grinded the meat in my food processor; it worked really well.
    Grinded, Ground? Oh, who cares anyway?
    I do, thanks.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I tried 70% sirloin and 30% chuck - did not come out that great

Going back to my best burgers

2lbs Brisket - 4 lbs chuck - 3 lbs pork but - Juicy and flavorful.

Garnerville, NY